• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going back to previous client.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to previous client.

******* hell. You'd think you'd never work with them for the best part of 4 years. This reference, that reference, another id search.

Havent been away long and only had one job in the meantime so Im only able to give 1 new referee !

Ah well.

Gobtulipes need not comment, thanks
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    ******* hell. You'd think you'd never work with them for the best part of 4 years. This reference, that reference, another id search.

Havent been away long and only had one job in the meantime so Im only able to give 1 new referee !

Ah well.
    Tell me about it. I have to provide 3 years worth of references to a client I've worked with before. Thing is, 3 years takes me back to the time before I worked with the same client the last time (so they have already obtained references for that period), yet I still have to provide them again!. Some of my referees are getting well peeeeeeeeed orrrf being presented with the same form (BC check) over and over again for the 20 or so contractors they've worked with before who on average change contracts twice a year.

DVA, at least centralise the reference aspects of BC checking won't ya so we can just top up(ie provide references for the period since last BC was done). As time is going by my referees have moved on so forms don't get returned or they're simply fed up doing them so don't get returned or returned when they feel like doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ
      Tell me about it. I have to provide 3 years worth of references to a client I've worked with before. Thing is, 3 years takes me back to the time before I worked with the same client the last time (so they have already obtained references for that period), yet I still have to provide them again!
      Last two IBs I've worked for, if you leave, even just for 3 months, you have to go through the entire checking/reference process again. Seems to be pretty standard practice these days, at least in banking...
      Last edited by nomadd; 4 June 2010, 19:21.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Last two IBs I've worked for, if you leave, even just for 3 months, you have to go through the entire checking/reference process again. Seems to be pretty standard practice these days, at least in banking...
        Doesn't make it right though - it's a nightmare of red tape and process - it gets on my nerves as well - we've even had internal applicants for roles, where we've had to reference check.....It looks really bad to all concerned - I understand - it's though to keep things auditable if you don't - but SURELY a photocopy is sufficient?
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
          Doesn't make it right though - it's a nightmare of red tape and process - it gets on my nerves as well - we've even had internal applicants for roles, where we've had to reference check.....It looks really bad to all concerned - I understand - it's though to keep things auditable if you don't - but SURELY a photocopy is sufficient?
          You think you've got problems... You aren't the one who has to deal with all the fallout once the vetting process actually begins. Remember, that doesn't normally kick-off until a contractor has been on site for 4 weeks! And it's the contractor, not the agency, who has to deal with all the c-r-a-p from these 'vetting companies.' I've been through it twice in 8 months.

Let me give you an example: I was approached by the vetting agency for my current gig a few weeks back: they were doing a five year check. They'd phoned to complain that the reference I had given for my company - my accountant - could only vouch for me from October 1989, and not May 1989 as I'd put on their form. Pointing out that that still meant he was vouching for me for 21 years(!) and they were only doing a five year check seemed to be too much for their tiny brains...

Last edited by nomadd; 7 June 2010, 17:28.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Oh, and they want a 'personal' referee going back more than 5 years if poss.

Told them to do one. I know for a fact the client isnt asking for this bulltulip because last time I was there, most other agencies handed all the contractors over to the sole agent but the one I was with didnt. They asked me for 5 years references at that point and I said they were having a laugh. They said no, its the new sole agent who want it.

had a word with the client and they said the new sole agent thing should have been seamless to existing contractors.

It's the agent looking for new leads, nothing else.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
            X