• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract or Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract or Perm

Looking for some helpful advise please. Have been operating through Ltd (outside IR35) for last 18 months and have 6 months remaining on my current contract. My old permie boss has contacted me saying they are looking for someone to do my old job and I have been his first choice, however it may be a permie position. Having just got off the phone with him I have an interview tomorrow morning.

Although I like the contracting lifestyle I am getting a bit bored at the current gig and due to the 24month rule would need to leave before another 6 months is up anyway which may mean travelling further afield. However to take this job would mean that work is 20 mins journey from home. However, at the mo I need the money as my GF is studying and does not finish for a year so we only have the money that I bring in which was the reason behind contracting in the first place so that we would not struggle. It would be ideal for me to take this job on a contract for 12 months or so because I already have things in place for the year i.e. pension, accountant, insurances etc and would really like to approach this possibility during the interview tomorrow.

However I just want to know some examples to justify a position as a contrator as opposed to being a permie, in terms of how it would benefit them other than I pay my own pension, expenses, travel. This would potentially be direct through my own Ltd and no agency involved and so I would even consider dropping my rate a bit to secure the contract.

help please as I don't want to foul up this possible opportunity.

As you obviously get on ok, just talk to him about it.

See what perm rate is on offer, add Employers NI, add in 6 weeks holiday, 20% pension contribution, allow for a couple of days sick and double it

He can only say "NO, it's a perm role end of"
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

There's a lot of good reasons why you shoud use freelances on the Britains Brain Gain website. Start from Why use freelancers? and pick out the relevant bits!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Take the permie job, sounds like you are better suited to it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WHS - Sounds like a perm job might suit you better. Are you sure you can go and do your old job happily ? Was money the only reason you bailed ? If you were going back at a slightly higher level then I think that might be more tempting.
          I am earning more on contract but not by an amazing amount due to 25% of the time out of work, you should have a good feel for the market for your skills by now and whether you can get a constant stream of work. Plus - who says you have to leave after 24 months ? expenses get squeezed but maybe a rate rise could be negotiated.

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. I got a provisional offer of a contract directly with Client Co through my own Ltd. I say provisional because I still need to organise a contract to give them and discuss day rate which I will do tomorrow. So am thinking day rate +10% and a more senior title added to the position, otherwise no deal.

There is a chance though that they may not want me to work outside IR35 which is what I am planning. If that is the case roughly what sort of percentage should I be adding onto an hourly rate to cover the difference and secure the same take home? I saw on some IR35calc somewhere that its 15%.

Although I shall be trying my hardest to ensure it is outside.

Comment

Working...
            X