• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to tell client refusing extension.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell client refusing extension.

Its been a long time since I told a client I wouldnt be taking a renewal so thought I'd gauge the committee's opinion on this.

Position is I started a new (first) contract with the client about 2 months ago. Due to the work ethos and being given a marginal role in the team despite being told I was recruited for my skillset, leadership and mentoring skills, even though I've been proactive in promoting these, there are issues which made me decide I wouldnt be taking a renewal if offered.

Now then, the client asked me on Wednesday when my current contract ends as they were in the process of extending another team member who's contract ends in the next 3 weeks. Mine doesnt end for another 7 weeks.

The client didnt ask if I would accept a renewal and I didnt indicate what Id do, one way or the other. However, the client did mention they would have to 'get it sorted.' I took that to mean my colleague's extension but could be taken to mean the team's extensions.

So, Thursday, I get a call from someone I've worked with before asking me to come on board a new 9 month project they are heading up. After a chat to get background etc, we agree start dates which co incide with the end of the my current contract ie finish old on Friday, start new on Monday.

I've got MOO in my contract.

So, the question is what's the best way to tell the current client I wont be accepting any extension if offerred?

I could just say no but I think people deserve a bit more than that.

I could say no because the ethos and work isnt what you said it would be and I havent been able to bring my 'experience' to bring the team's work along.

Or I could just say I've been headhunted by a previous client for a better role \ position?

Cheers.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

So, the question is what's the best way to tell the current client I wont be accepting any extension if offerred?

I could just say no but I think people deserve a bit more than that.

I could say no because the ethos and work isnt what you said it would be and I havent been able to bring my 'experience' to bring the team's work along.

Or I could just say I've been headhunted by a previous client for a better role \ position?

Cheers.
    Remember, you don't have to take an extension but let them know in an honest and diplomatic way that you won't extend further. So you could say no because the ethos and work isnt what they said it would be etc (slightly risky) as you mentioned above, combined with a long contract with previous client co has been offered.

I'm in a situation right now where either the current client (1 year so far)has taken too long sorting out an extension(only one week left!) and I've now been offered something else. I don't like reminding clients of my contract end date as they should handle this if I'm 'needed' so because I've not heard anything at all and the project is coming to an end in the coming months I have assumed I'm not required. Agent has also been pushing old client since Tuesday regarding the extension but I've not heard anything directly or indirectly from client and I know others in other teams have been extended over the past few weeks.
    So new contract offer has arrived but I'm now hearing they (old client) might have just forgotten about me, so may have the decision of staying with current client (large multinational client, closer to home, less money, nice people, not that challenging at this moment in time and not really improving my skillset, a hole in the ground to work in) or new client (another large multinational client so another door opened, potentially longer contract than current client can offer but might only be same length, working in an environment better for improving my skillset with more money but twice as far from home, nice air conditioned office). Don't want to let old client down but I'm not sure how long they really need me, and I have 'bored' days as time is going by because I'm now just doing the same old stuff, so will discuss with them in an open and honest manner whether they need me and for how long. If they could offer an extension exceeding the new offer, working on some new stuff I might be tempted to sign up again. Or if they plead the project might be delayed because of my departure the guilt trip might mean I'll stay.
    One downside for me is that there might have to be a gap between me leaving current client co and joining new one due to checks that need to be done and can take 1 to 3 weeks so potentially might face a forced 2 week holiday

Sorry, I've turned my reply into my situation but actually it's helped me make up my mind what I should do. Ta!
    Last edited by SuperZ; 22 May 2010, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      I could say no because the ethos and work isnt what you said it would be and I havent been able to bring my 'experience' to bring the team's work along
      I would go for basically this one, but with the professional consultant angle. Say YourCo is happy to continue with the project but will be sending another of its consultants in your place, because your skills are better suited elsewhere and you think the client deserves a better fit than you can personally provide.

Comment

I would never say anything negative to a client when leaving, nor would I give a genuine reason if it was at all negative. I've left some places feeling really pissed off with the whole lot but it's never good to tell them in my opinion. I always leave the door open because you never know when you will be doing business with the client again.

"Thank you very much for the opportunity, it's been great doing business with you but I have an exciting new opportunity and I've decided that I will not be renewing the contract."

As thunderlizard says, the other thing to do is to offer to sub it out to someone else or at least find another candidate for the job and get a finders fee from the agency that places them.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

The client gave you an x week contract. You have been seeking continuity of revenue for your business and have the opportunity of a follow-on contract with another client. If the first client wanted you for longer than x weeks, they should have given you a contract for longer than x weeks in the first place (or extended you as soon as they knew they liked you and had continuity of work), is the cold, hard view.

However, you could dress it up by saying something like (suggest not waiting until they actually offer you an extension - be proactive) "I thought I should let you know, in case you were considering an extension to my current contract, that I already have another contract in the pipeline for a previous client with whom I have a long-standing business relationship, so I won't be available to provide services to you after the current contract. However, I am letting you know now so that we can work on the understanding that our current contract will end in 7 weeks and organise the remaining weeks accordingly - handover, help to accomodate the change etc...."

Comment

How to tell them? How about no thanks.

Look, stop being an attention-seeking prima donna and grow a pair. For a bolshie bastard you come a cross as a right royal bed-wetter.

Comment

What about asking for a huge increase upon extension. They could either make the decision for you or you could be properly boomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                How to tell them? How about no thanks.

Look, stop being an attention-seeking prima donna and grow a pair. For a bolshie bastard you come a cross as a right royal bed-wetter.

Oh that's dreadful!!
                Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Blabbering on about ethos and how they don't give you decent work sounds like permie talk.

In this situation I think you have it clear cut... "sorry but I'm afraid I've been offered a longer contract by a former client, on an exciting new project"
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Blabbering on about ethos and how they don't give you decent work sounds like permie talk.

In this situation I think you have it clear cut... "sorry but I'm afraid I've been offered a longer contract by a former client, on an exciting new project"
                    WHS. At the end of the day, you have to do what is in the best interest of your business and yourself. Don't feel obligated to extend for the sake of extending.

Other side of the coin, if you are critical to the completion of the project, then you should stay until completion.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X