• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to tell client refusing extension.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    How to tell them? How about no thanks.

Look, stop being an attention-seeking prima donna and grow a pair. For a bolshie bastard you come a cross as a right royal bed-wetter.
    Kiss my hairy ring piece, mong. I've got a big enough pair unlike some I could mention.

I've already said I had an idea what I would tell the client but was interested to hear what other worthy suggestions people have.

You contribute **** all to this site. Just thought Id mention that too.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
      What about asking for a huge increase upon extension. They could either make the decision for you or you could be properly boomed.
      Yeah I thought about that one even before the other offer came in but tbh, the situation isnt one I'd go with even for another 50 quid a day and Im pretty sure that wouldnt be forth coming.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Blabbering on about ethos and how they don't give you decent work sounds like permie talk.

In this situation I think you have it clear cut... "sorry but I'm afraid I've been offered a longer contract by a former client, on an exciting new project"
      Im very sorry the phraseology I used doesnt fit your view but I dont have a permie outlook one bit. I left that behind nearly 15 years and 3 different business ago. I suppose I could have said project \ team management, project work, re inventing the wheel etc, etc.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      WHS. At the end of the day, you have to do what is in the best interest of your business and yourself. Don't feel obligated to extend for the sake of extending.

Other side of the coin, if you are critical to the completion of the project, then you should stay until completion.
      I dont feel obliged one jot to accept any extension I dont want. I only stay if I like the work or there's nothing else about. Im rather quite chosey about the contracts I take on and, mistakenly, I thought this would be a good project and team to work with.

Sadly, for reasons Im not going to go into detail in on a forum, this isnt the case and wont be no matter how proactive I'll be. And believe me, I've been proactive in the 7 weeks I've been there but its clear the ship isnt for turning.

The only way Id stay is if there was no likelihood of a new contract elsewhere within a month or so. And, Im confident I would be able to do that without the offer now on the table by another client.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Im very sorry the phraseology I used doesnt fit your view but I dont have a permie outlook one bit. I left that behind nearly 15 years and 3 different business ago. I suppose I could have said project \ team management, project work, re inventing the wheel etc, etc.
        No need to get all defensive, old bean. It's hardly a crime to think of contracting as a job, though it seems IR35 (or willy-waving?) makes everyone feel the need to boast about how non-permy they are
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No need to get all defensive, old bean. It's hardly a crime to think of contracting as a job, though it seems IR35 (or willy-waving?) makes everyone feel the need to boast about how non-permy they are
          Hardly. But I fail to see why some people jump on the word 'ethos' when describing the client's environment. But you wave your willy all you want.
          Last edited by BolshieBastard; 23 May 2010, 12:50.

Comment

I simply said that I have decided not to renew my extension.

End of.

You've only been there 2 months, I'd understand if it had been a year or two.

If pushed tell them that you've decided to seek pastures new. Don't bother with this ethos stuff because you're implying they have the scruples of a sewer rat and you're above that kind of thing. That's worse than not telling them anything IMO.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I simply said that I have decided not to renew my extension.

End of.

You've only been there 2 months, I'd understand if it had been a year or two.

If pushed tell them that you've decided to seek pastures new. Don't bother with this ethos stuff because you're implying they have the scruples of a sewer rat and you're above that kind of thing. That's worse than not telling them anything IMO.
              So you're telling me you cant get a feel for how things are going to shape up within a couple of months of a new contract?

You can tell very early on how you're going to fit with the client's ways and project etc early on. Yes, when I took the role based on a two way 'interview' process (I never go along with this idea the client is only interviewing me. I always ask some pointed questions about the client, project and role etc), I thought it would be a mutually beneficial role.

It became very clear early on that that wasnt going to happen and despite taking a proactive stance to try and bring things onto the track discussed, these attempts were knocked back.

So the option is to stick it out for the project ie well into 2011 or at the end of the contract move on. I've chosen to move on. The point about the original post though is doing this in a professional way.

Some people clearly arent bothered about that which is fine for them and their business. I just dont operate that way.

Im just going to tell the client I've been asked to work with a previous client but as we all know, conversations dont stop there (usually). Im pretty certain the client will then say 'why arent you extending with us blah, blah, blah?' and will want to know.

Then it becomes a case of telling it like it is and possibly burning bridges or just re iterate the new role and its benefits.
              Last edited by BolshieBastard; 23 May 2010, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Hardly. But I fail to see why some people jump on the word 'ethos' when describing the client's environment. But you wave your willy all you want.
                You're as touchy as SY01. Forcing an argument over the slightest hint of criticism is something my wife does
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You're as touchy as SY01. Forcing an argument over the slightest hint of criticism is something my wife does
                  Hint: Set both BB and SY01 to ignore; works for me. Oh, and make sure you do the same with the wife.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

14 companies later and the number of times the description of the role has been anywhere near accurate at interview has been – once, this one.
                    How many times have I heard about the level of pressure I can expect, tough workloads blah blah blah and find they are a stroll. Of course, consider your options if you have any but you can take what a client says at interview to be as accurate as what an agent says.

Comment

I always go with.

"Thank you for your kind offer but I have been made an offer with another company that I just cannot refuse at all. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and it has been an absolute pleasure". Then I give them a business card and talk about keeping in touch for the future.

Even if it has been a nightmare it is always good to end it on a good note. I have found it works and people do tend to stay in touch.

Comment

Working...
                      X