• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to tell client refusing extension."

Collapse

• Dearnla
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    nice air conditioned office
    That sells it for me......

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    He knows that but where else would he get all this attention? In real life he's just a dullard that no one wants to talk to.
    LOL! I think we all know who the 'attention seeker' is, mong.

Anyways, had a good chat with them, told them I'd been contacted by previous client who wants me to go back. Said they were sorry to lose me and hoped I would work for them again in the future.

Did you get that bike gears?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    When I quit my last contract, I just strolled up to the manager, enquired as to his nicotine levels (he was trying to quit smoking at the time) and asked for five minutes of his time.

The coversation went thus:
    Him: "You've got another job"
    Me: "Yes, I have"
    Him: "Where?"
    Me: "Client X in London"
    Him: "That's a bit of a commute, are they paying you lots?"
    Me: "Yes, double"
    Him: "Fantastic, you'll be missed but you're worth more than we can afford"
    Me: "Very kind of you, can I leave next Friday?"
    Him: "If you must, I guess they won't wait six months!"

End of, left on excellent terms.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Jesus Christ, this is all far too complicated.

A simple 'thanks for the offer but I already have a new contract lined up' is all you need.

Job jobbed...
    He knows that but where else would he get all this attention? In real life he's just a dullard that no one wants to talk to.

Leave a comment:

• stacks
    replied
    You too, I thought I was just the lucky one!

it seems to be the standard thing at the interview with the senior people giving it the big one about work loads, pressure and aggressive timescales and then when I get on site I'm twiddling my thumbs. Thats happened on the last 4/5 contracts I've had now, if baffles my wife when she asks if I've had a busy day and the answer is always...not really.

Being a contractor really opens your eyes to the amount of slack there is at a company. Sometimes I try to improve this and hurry things along with improvements but most places just seem to accept it as the norm and blindly continue.

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    14 companies later and the number of times the description of the role has been anywhere near accurate at interview has been – once, this one.
    How many times have I heard about the level of pressure I can expect, tough workloads blah blah blah and find they are a stroll. Of course, consider your options if you have any but you can take what a client says at interview to be as accurate as what an agent says.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Jesus Christ, this is all far too complicated.

A simple 'thanks for the offer but I already have a new contract lined up' is all you need.

Job jobbed...

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by TFour View Post
    Good one - agree, never burn bridges.
    Yeah, I tried something similar to that phrase once only to hear "fu** off, everyone hates it here, I've been here for 4 fu***** years and you're leaving 'cause you want out'

Then a few people hated me for the last few days. Oh well, I tried

Leave a comment:

• TFour
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I always go with.

"Thank you for your kind offer but I have been made an offer with another company that I just cannot refuse at all. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and it has been an absolute pleasure". Then I give them a business card and talk about keeping in touch for the future.

Even if it has been a nightmare it is always good to end it on a good note. I have found it works and people do tend to stay in touch.
    Good one - agree, never burn bridges.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    I always go with.

"Thank you for your kind offer but I have been made an offer with another company that I just cannot refuse at all. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and it has been an absolute pleasure". Then I give them a business card and talk about keeping in touch for the future.

Even if it has been a nightmare it is always good to end it on a good note. I have found it works and people do tend to stay in touch.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    14 companies later and the number of times the description of the role has been anywhere near accurate at interview has been – once, this one.
    How many times have I heard about the level of pressure I can expect, tough workloads blah blah blah and find they are a stroll. Of course, consider your options if you have any but you can take what a client says at interview to be as accurate as what an agent says.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You're as touchy as SY01. Forcing an argument over the slightest hint of criticism is something my wife does
    Hint: Set both BB and SY01 to ignore; works for me. Oh, and make sure you do the same with the wife.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Hardly. But I fail to see why some people jump on the word 'ethos' when describing the client's environment. But you wave your willy all you want.
    You're as touchy as SY01. Forcing an argument over the slightest hint of criticism is something my wife does

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I simply said that I have decided not to renew my extension.

End of.

You've only been there 2 months, I'd understand if it had been a year or two.

If pushed tell them that you've decided to seek pastures new. Don't bother with this ethos stuff because you're implying they have the scruples of a sewer rat and you're above that kind of thing. That's worse than not telling them anything IMO.
    So you're telling me you cant get a feel for how things are going to shape up within a couple of months of a new contract?

You can tell very early on how you're going to fit with the client's ways and project etc early on. Yes, when I took the role based on a two way 'interview' process (I never go along with this idea the client is only interviewing me. I always ask some pointed questions about the client, project and role etc), I thought it would be a mutually beneficial role.

It became very clear early on that that wasnt going to happen and despite taking a proactive stance to try and bring things onto the track discussed, these attempts were knocked back.

So the option is to stick it out for the project ie well into 2011 or at the end of the contract move on. I've chosen to move on. The point about the original post though is doing this in a professional way.

Some people clearly arent bothered about that which is fine for them and their business. I just dont operate that way.

Im just going to tell the client I've been asked to work with a previous client but as we all know, conversations dont stop there (usually). Im pretty certain the client will then say 'why arent you extending with us blah, blah, blah?' and will want to know.

Then it becomes a case of telling it like it is and possibly burning bridges or just re iterate the new role and its benefits.
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 23 May 2010, 12:51.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I simply said that I have decided not to renew my extension.

End of.

You've only been there 2 months, I'd understand if it had been a year or two.

If pushed tell them that you've decided to seek pastures new. Don't bother with this ethos stuff because you're implying they have the scruples of a sewer rat and you're above that kind of thing. That's worse than not telling them anything IMO.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No need to get all defensive, old bean. It's hardly a crime to think of contracting as a job, though it seems IR35 (or willy-waving?) makes everyone feel the need to boast about how non-permy they are
    Hardly. But I fail to see why some people jump on the word 'ethos' when describing the client's environment. But you wave your willy all you want.
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 23 May 2010, 12:50.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X