• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench time getting too long!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread getting a bit side tracked.

My post was just a rant about lack of contracts in my field unless you are already SC cleared.

Not a contest to see how long you have been unable to gain employment for, nor was I seeking any sympathy

I do have savings. No worry there.

Everyone has different reasons for working as a contractor. And mine was I took VR from last permie role, my job went overseas!!

After that a contract came up before a permie role and I just kept going from then.

SueEllen
    You are correct this is the first recession I have been a contractor in.

Roll on the emergency budget.

Comment

I think the SC thing is one of those things that can really frustrate you if you let it.

I used to be frustrated about it but then I just stopped caring.

I only look at senior test management roles and if it's any consolation anyone who hasn't either got security clearance or banking experience (e.g. me) is to all intents and purposes completely rationed out of the market (if you can call this a market).

Comment

Originally posted by mall View Post
        My post was just a rant about lack of contracts in my field unless you are already SC cleared.

Not a contest to see how long you have been unable to gain employment for, nor was I seeking any sympathy

I do have savings. No worry there.
        How much savings you have also determine what kind of attitude you have towards accepting
        or applying for contracts, perhaps the fact you do have savngs means your picking and choosing
        too much?

My approach has always been to accept any decent contract and then to work on it and always then
        to swing from one contract to the next gradually increasing the rate and getting more of what I want
        in terms of skill and location, bench time for me is like falling of the tree and having to climb up again
        and start the process of swinging and working the contracts again.

Comment

My dad (not in IT, Nuclear Eng) waited 16 weeks for his SC to come through, not sure if I could have waited that long.

Flip side is that he's got guaranteed (or as best as) work until 2012.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
          X