• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench time getting too long!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench time getting too long!!

5 Years as an IT contractor. Never been on bench for more than 3 weeks.

Been 8 weeks now.

Is this it? Has the IT contract market stopped

Unless you have SC clearance or willing to undergo it

Try 4 months! I've been doing freelance work... I've had 2 interviews in this period.. one went to a stronger candidate (was a permie so wasnt too fussed) and the other to a recommendation from the CEO (you can't win them)

Agents are calling and I am waiting for interviews but I am shocked to see how hard it is to secure gravy train employment. I am finding it that decorators, painters, plasters are mega busy at the moment maybe I am in the wrong trade and they get to work closer for far more reasonable hours.
    Never Never Never give up

Comment

Try 11 months! Sorry I'm not helping am I!

Just left the bench a couple of weeks ago and it was pure chance I got the contract as it's certainly not a 100% match for my skill set. I'm sure the agency could have easily found a better suited candidate if they bothered to look a bit harder

Anyhow I took the gig just to get back in the game because one thing this recession has taught me is that agencies only like talking to people who are currently working. Bit of a catch 22.

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
        Try 11 months! Sorry I'm not helping am I!

Just left the bench a couple of weeks ago and it was pure chance I got the contract as it's certainly not a 100% match for my skill set. I'm sure the agency could have easily found a better suited candidate if they bothered to look a bit harder

Anyhow I took the gig just to get back in the game because one thing this recession has taught me is that agencies only like talking to people who are currently working. Bit of a catch 22.
        Same here but no sniff of any work.

To the OP, hunker down, it could be a long one!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Same here but no sniff of any work.

To the OP, hunker down, it could be a long one!
          that's a bit grim, this time for me, I've been on the bench for 3 1/2 mths and counting, every year for the past four has been the same, just hope it doesn't go through the summer and having to go and meet client people I'd rather not, for work that's s***e

Comment

Originally posted by mall View Post
            5 Years as an IT contractor. Never been on bench for more than 3 weeks.

Been 8 weeks now.

Is this it? Has the IT contract market stopped

Unless you have SC clearance or willing to undergo it
            Why do you think SC would make a difference? I've been looking since xmas and believe me SC gigs have all but dried up too, the government is skint if you hadn't heard.

I've just taken a mind numbing permy role which I already wish I'd turned down 2 days in, it really is bloody depressing being at the mercy of petty minded managers when you're used to commanding at least some kind of respect as a pro.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

planned spending cuts and that emergency budget in 4 weeks time is going to affect
              the economy in a big way, if i where you i'd get into the bunker before the big
              bomb detonates on 22-June-2010 .

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Why do you think SC would make a difference? I've been looking since xmas and believe me SC gigs have all but dried up too, the government is skint if you hadn't heard.

I've just taken a mind numbing permy role which I already wish I'd turned down 2 days in, it really is bloody depressing being at the mercy of petty minded managers when you're used to commanding at least some kind of respect as a pro.
                As every role out there for my skill set requires SC Clearance.

Comment

In the last 4 years across a range of contracts I have had the following benchtime - 1mth, 4 mths, 5mths, 2mths. A long time ago I went over 10 years without more than a weekend in between contracts (admittedly, lower-level grunt work that tends to be continuous). I have some location constraints and not a particularly contract friendly skillset BUT I have also been offered the last 6 contracts I have interviewed for, I just can't get the interviews soon enough !
                  I don't see this changing and will have to put up with the benchtime I think. I am still better off than comparative perm jobs over those 4 years (which I doubt I would get anyway - CV screams contractor).
                  So - you need to make an assessment about whether your skillset and location/rate demands represent a decent business proposition, will they generate the required revenue. If not, you have to consider working away, getting door-opening certs, going perm to rebuild skillset/change direction.
                  BUT - don't panic at the first bit of benchtime, the economy might be holding it's breath for a while and you might just need to hold tight till it opens up. Only you can do an honest assessment of all this and remember it can all turn round in one phonecall.

Comment

Originally posted by mall View Post
                    As every role out there for my skill set requires SC Clearance.
                    One problem with this holy grail (supposedly) SC is that you tend to become ring-fenced into SC cleared work only.
                    I'm hearing from contractors wiht varied skillsets who are not happy at this. One had loads of work in the private sector (Financisal Services and Banking) and then took one 'lower paying' public sector contract last year for a change (and to get the clearance) and is finding he's getting no calls at all about private sector jobs and public sector has of course also dried up also, where as an ex-colleage of his in the private sector is still getting privvy sector calls (banking mainly).
                    So for some who try the public sector and dislike it, they end up being ringfenced for SC cleared work only. The person mentioned above is going to try having two CV's (one without his short recent sting in SC cleared/Public sector work) to see how the dodgy agents market responds.

Comment

Working...
                    X