• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 agencies + 1 client == Blurgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Of course and I'm sure most consider that, but do you not think someone who the agent says will put forward for the position needs to know who the end client is?
    And is it or is it not against agency regulations to not disclose who the client is to applicants when they are put forward to the client? If this rule is kept to there wouldn't be an issue. So if an agents says they'll put us forward for an interview yet withholds the client co we should assume they are fishing and/or blocking us from applying through another agency and we should apply through another agency. If two CV's then end up on client co desk, first agency has breached the regs and deserves to be put out of business or fined.
    Sorry for slow replies - general anaesthetic, teeth removal, puss, anti biotics, codeine - I'm sure you can imagine the rest.

So - to break it down. There aren't really any regulations in recruitment - just guidelines. You can be struck out of the REC for example for continued and consistent malpractice - but half the industry seems to get away with it.

I would point out that I would never condone not giving the name of the client, except in exceptional circumstances (ie when you are ousting someone who is in post already, or are in a VERY competitive situation - at which point I would normally ask some fairly heavy qualifying questions!).

It's worth changing your mindset though - agents are not here to block you - we want to help you - its what makes us money ultimately. Yes there are dirty tricksters out there, and I know you've all got tales to tell - but how about innocent until proven guilty? We're not all as bad as you think we are.
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
      It's worth changing your mindset though - agents are not here to block you - we want to help you - its what makes us money ultimately. Yes there are dirty tricksters out there, and I know you've all got tales to tell - but how about innocent until proven guilty? We're not all as bad as you think we are.
      You've previously accepted that blocking happens & it's bad.

The question is who to trust? Nobody? Everybody? Hard to tell until you've been at this game for a while.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        You've previously accepted that blocking happens & it's bad.

The question is who to trust? Nobody? Everybody? Hard to tell until you've been at this game for a while.
        As I think about it - I accept the logic behind blocking people - I'd actually doubt whether a recruiter would have enough time, patience (or to be honest, in most cases intelligence) to make this happen though.

I completely accept that it's a difficult situation for you guys - but consider this - our living depends on you guys, as much as yours depends on us for certain opportunities - so actually we have to be careful who we trust as well - All I'm saying is perhaps be a little more open to suggestion initially - contractors are hardly known for being squeaky cleaen themselves. I would also suggest that when someone shafts you, make sure you rip them to shreds for it.
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Interestingly the question of 'Do I send my CV to mulitple agencies when I know it is same client' comes up regularly and I always say absolutely not as I got stung in a three way tie in exactly the same situation as this. There is always a set of people that come on and say F*** it apply, more applications the more chance you have of getting the job. At last so more evidence that doing this is likely to be more harmful that it is good.

I feel for you in this position having been in exactly the same. The client I applied for according to the three agents was based in Manchester, North West and Cheshire all with 3 diff titles. How I was supposed to guess they were the same from that I will never know..

Onwards and upwards...
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Dogs and bones spring to mind.

Unlucky. It's happened to a lot of us over the years. Add the agents names to your list and move on. (you'll get your own back one day)
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
            X