• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 agencies + 1 client == Blurgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 agencies + 1 client == Blurgh

I'm sorry: this is my first post and I'm going to have a good rant.
    Sorry again.

In October last year, SmallAgency contacted me about a contract.
    The job spec was pretty generic and SmallAgency told me they
    weren't allowed to tell me the name of the client. I let them go
    ahead and submit my CV. I heard nothing more and forgot about it.

At the end of February this year, LargeAgency contacted me about
    a contract. The job spec was pretty generic and LargeAgency weren't
    allowed to tell me the name of the client. The client were interested,
    and I interviewed for the contract. The next day, LargeAgency
    sent me an offer, which I accepted. LargeAgency told me that the
    actual contract would be issued the next week. And then nothing
    happened. LargeAgency told me that Client had encountered 'problems
    getting sign-off on the purchase order for the contract'. They're
    still telling me the same to this day, > 2 months later. Meantime,
    speaking to SmallAgency about something else, it turns out that the
    two contracts were the same one. Shortly after I got offered the
    contract via LargeAgency, SmallAgency visited Client, got wind of the
    fact that they'd interviewed me via LargeAgency, and kicked up a fuss
    about it. Presumably, Client then walked away from the contract.

GRRRR.

James

5 months on and the client was still looking for the same role..? I would tell SmallAgency to stuff it. You didn't hear from them in five months and then they stop you from taking a contract through another agency? Did you agree to be represented by them exclusively?

Comment

I've got a feeling the same thing happened to me, I was put forward by one agency and heard nothing, 6 weeks later another agency put me forward and I was called for interview, the agent kept me hanging on with updates every day for 2 weeks saying there were snags that needed ironing out then the calls stopped.

I suspect the first CV submission may have scuppered my chance.

It's a murky world where we have limited info about whats really going on, in a normal market you'd just brush it off but when gigs are scarce it can be extremely frustrating.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Once I was told I would be put forward for a position where they wouldn't tell me who the client was and I think it was simply a blocking excercise. For that reason alone I will not let an agency put me forward for a position if they will not tell me who the client is, there's got to be something fishy about it in my opinion if they won't name the client. And as you have learned, it's easy to be put forward for the same position by another agency if you're kept in the dark over who the clients.

Would other business submit tenders to unknown companies for work? No. UNfortunately we have to use these agents in our business.

I'm more than happy to sign a piece of paper indicating I will not disclose who the client is to other agencies, but I won't let them submit to 'secret' clients.

Ah, I have just remembered. Apparently it is AGAINST AGENCY REGULATIONS for an agency to do this, so tell them to kiss yer butt if they try this on!!!! ANd take it to the client if you have to, tell them the agencies they are using for recruitment are working against the agency regulations and ask whether they should be associated with such businesses.
        Last edited by SuperZ; 13 May 2010, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          Once I was told I would be put forward for a position where they wouldn't tell me who the client was and I think it was simply a blocking excercise. For that reason alone I will not let an agency put me forward for a position if they will not tell me who the client is, there's got to be something fishy about it in my opinion if they won't name the client. And as you have learned, it's easy to be put forward for the same position by another agency if you're kept in the dark over who the clients.

Would other business submit tenders to unknown companies for work? No. UNfortunately we have to use these agents in our business.

I'm more than happy to sign a piece of paper indicating I will not disclose who the client is to other agencies, but I won't let them submit to 'secret' clients.

Ah, I have just remembered. Apparently it is AGAINST AGENCY REGULATIONS for an agency to do this, so tell them to kiss yer butt if they try this on!!!! ANd take it to the client if you have to, tell them the agencies they are using for recruitment are working against the agency regulations and ask whether they should be associated with such businesses.
          Errr...How are you going to to that, if you don't know who the client is?

"Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post

Now here's a little lesson for you all.

If an agent calls you with a job like that - there's possibly a good reason for hiding who the client is - could be exclusivity - could be stopping the spread by word of mouth, could be that there's an incumbent that needs ousting.

But - USE YOUR BRAINS A LITTLE BIT would you? As an example: IT Project Manager, SAP, in Croydon, Rate about £500, 6 month contract, travel industry - if two people call you about a role like this (think, if it sounds familiar, there's a reason) then tell the second agent that it sounds like a role you were discussing previously and that makes you nervous. They might crack, but seriously, if it sounds the same, do yourself a favour and pull out with the second agent regardless...... We're not frikkin mind readers you know.
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post

If an agent calls you with a job like that - there's possibly a good reason for hiding who the client is - could be exclusivity - could be stopping the spread by word of mouth, could be that there's an incumbent that needs ousting.

But - USE YOUR BRAINS A LITTLE BIT would you? As an example: IT Project Manager, SAP, in Croydon, Rate about £500, 6 month contract, travel industry - if two people call you about a role like this (think, if it sounds familiar, there's a reason) then tell the second agent that it sounds like a role you were discussing previously and that makes you nervous. They might crack, but seriously, if it sounds the same, do yourself a favour and pull out with the second agent regardless...... We're not frikkin mind readers you know.
              Of course and I'm sure most consider that, but do you not think someone who the agent says will put forward for the position needs to know who the end client is?
              And is it or is it not against agency regulations to not disclose who the client is to applicants when they are put forward to the client? If this rule is kept to there wouldn't be an issue. So if an agents says they'll put us forward for an interview yet withholds the client co we should assume they are fishing and/or blocking us from applying through another agency and we should apply through another agency. If two CV's then end up on client co desk, first agency has breached the regs and deserves to be put out of business or fined.
              Last edited by SuperZ; 13 May 2010, 15:48.

Comment

Errr...How are you going to to that, if you don't know who the client is?

Errr, because at some point you will know who the client is due to the conflict that occurs because of it. One of the two dodgy agents will probably tell you as they fight for their commission (as is probably the case of the original poster of this thread)

You seem to be kind of sticking up for this behaviour and probably use this tactic yourself, is it not against the agency regs to withhold client name from candidates who are put forward? Therefore this problem should not occur, period.
                Last edited by SuperZ; 13 May 2010, 16:57.

Comment

Hmmmm, surprised the OP even entertained the idea of being put forward for a client the Agency wouldn't divulge - wot if it were a lap dancing gig and the OP had to wear a sequined jock strap as part of the T&Cs.

I've Had to turn gigs down myself for the retail sector as I normally work in the banking sector -most banking clients will only consider your last gig before they offer you a position (in my experiance) - but I've always been told who the jobs were with and I have politey declined if it went against my interest.

I also suspect the Agency is working outside the law by not informing the OP who they are putting him forward for.

Comment

Because 9/10 Agent 2 says....

Programme Manager South East Software Systems £450

Comment

Working...
                    X