• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would SC be good enough for a job requiring a CRB?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would SC be good enough for a job requiring a CRB?

I'm pretty sure the standard SC covers a criminal check but can SC be used as a substitute when a CRB is required?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I'm pretty sure the standard SC covers a criminal check but can SC be used as a substitute when a CRB is required?
    I had a look around for this and can't find a direct answer but I would hazard a guess and say no. I would think that in areas of security the pedants rule so if you need a CRB even though SC and DV are higher you would have to have a CRB registered if nothing more to keep the system happy and the people involved covered. Although SC and DV maybe higher they may not answer exactly the same questions asked in a CRB.

I would be pleasantly surprised to find out that common sense does rule and a more stringent check will cover you when a basic one is needed.

If you do find out post and I will add it to the SC thread.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was security cleared when working on the CRB project. I think it is only basic level they do on you so SC should be OK.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Depends what you are doing.

i was listening to my teacher friends and someone else talking about how the CRB system is a mess i.e. for every organisation your work or volunteer for they have to do their own CRB check. However at some point very soon the system is going to be integrated so this doesn't happen.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

From what I understand, No.

Someone I know is a senior nurse and still had to do a CRB check to be allowed to work at a local school so waiving an SC document at them isn't going to get you far (like most of them would even know what SC is).

CRB is pretty quick and easy to do though, I don't see how it could be a pre-requsite for applying for a position. If you get the job then you do the CRB check...
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            CRB is pretty quick and easy to do though, I don't see how it could be a pre-requsite for applying for a position. If you get the job then you do the CRB check...
            How quick it is depends on the number of people doing it at the time your form is submitted. Mine took 2 months though they reckon it's a 3 week turn around.

Just hope it isn't done towards the beginning of school year as the system always fails.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They're checking different things.

CRB is often used because you will be in contact with vulnerable people, whereas SC is checking regardless of what you have/haven't done - can you be trusted with sensitive information.

Under SC, convictions may not be an issue - as long as you fully declare them. Ironically CRB may be more stricter if you have convictions.

So to answer the question, I doubt that being SC will automatically clear you for CRB - but as long as you have no convictions, CRB should be easy

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Depends what you are doing.

i was listening to my teacher friends and someone else talking about how the CRB system is a mess i.e. for every organisation your work or volunteer for they have to do their own CRB check. However at some point very soon the system is going to be integrated so this doesn't happen.
                In teaching, each local authority does their own checks... so if you move between schools in the same town/area you may likely be fine... if you are in commuting distance of multiple areas then yes you have to replicate it.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X