• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Daily Rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Daily Rate?

Hi,

I'm a permie who's currently looking at a few contract positions - I'm in the IT Training sector. The agency for a position I've recently applied has told me that I'm literally the only candidate he has for this role that ticks the boxes, which is understandable. Nevertheless, I am still a little unqualified for the role, and I'm not as experienced as I think the client is likely to want.

The role is advertised at £375pd, which is a lot more than I'm on at the moment (and yes, I am following advice on these forums about comparing contract daily rates to permanant daily rates - it's still a lot more). Frankly, I'm not sure I could command that much. The agy has emailed me today asking me what daily rate I'd ask for.

Taking into account that I'm not as experienced as most, and I don't tick all the preferred criteria (but I do have all the essential criteria), should I be honest, and ask for a lower daily rate, or should I just say the advertised daily rate is what I want?

Any advice? I've never had to negotiate a daily rate before - or any salary come to think of it.

Originally posted by ROCServe View Post
    Hi,

I'm a permie who's currently looking at a few contract positions - I'm in the IT Training sector. The agency for a position I've recently applied has told me that I'm literally the only candidate he has for this role that ticks the boxes, which is understandable. Nevertheless, I am still a little unqualified for the role, and I'm not as experienced as I think the client is likely to want.

The role is advertised at £375pd, which is a lot more than I'm on at the moment (and yes, I am following advice on these forums about comparing contract daily rates to permanant daily rates - it's still a lot more). Frankly, I'm not sure I could command that much. The agy has emailed me today asking me what daily rate I'd ask for.

Taking into account that I'm not as experienced as most, and I don't tick all the preferred criteria (but I do have all the essential criteria), should I be honest, and ask for a lower daily rate, or should I just say the advertised daily rate is what I want?

Any advice? I've never had to negotiate a daily rate before - or any salary come to think of it.
    If you're the only candidate. go in high (£450 per day) and negotiate

Comment

WHS, if you go for a lower rate the chances are high the agent will pocket this amount,
      probably best to go for slightly higher rate given agent has said your the only candidate.

Also make sure contract is IR35 compliant might explain the higher rate offered if it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by GCR99 View Post
        If you're the only candidate. go in high (£450 per day) and negotiate
        WHS

Start higher and negotiate lower , never start low.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

In the world of consultancy and elsewhere, there is a lot to be said for being 'reassuringly expensive', people will percieve your value based on what you ask for so don't see yourelf short. You aren't desperate or starving. I presume you can do the job if you get it so that isn't an issue. Say you are looking for 450/day, then say nothing, don't say about, don't say it like a question. Training is usually a licence to print money so they can afford to bung you some of it ! Good luck.

Comment

I'm in the IT Training sector. The agency for a position I've recently applied has told me that I'm literally the only candidate he has for this role that ticks the boxes, which is understandable. Nevertheless, I am still a little unqualified for the role, and I'm not as experienced as I think the client is likely to want.
            Before you go in with ridiculous rates take note of the key word here. If there are other agents in on this all this advice is just going to shoot you in the foot. I would go for something reasonable if not just to get a contract under your belt. 375 is a very good rate at the moment, especially for a first contract. I would find out if there are other agents involved if possible and if so tread carefully, none of this gung ho top price rubbish.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. As I've never contracted before, and as my skills aren't especially niche, I can't see how I could command that sort of money, though I'm not trying to sell myself short or anything - I am good at what I do, etc.

A lady I work with is ex-contractor and she mentioned about the sorts of rates you can get, similar to some of the figures bandied about above. On the one hand, I can't see how I could command that. On the other hand, my employer sub-contracts me out at £700pd anyway, so maybe that sort of money is a bargain!

I think, on the basis that I don't know if other agencies are involved, I'll just say that the advertised rate of £375 is fine, but I'll let them negotiate me down if it comes to it. I hate negotiating with money - it seems I'll have to get used to it if I do get into contracting.

Comment

I remember when I first jumped ship from permie (on about 40K) to my first contract (£350 a day) and thinking jesus christ I hope I dont dissapoint and can justify through my work getting paid that sort of money. But the truth is it's never questioned unless you really cant do the job but you should be able to gauge that from the interview.

Comment

Have to say, IME, training outfits charge a whole bunch of moolah for the courses they offer, but pay very little this on to the trainers. If you can get a day rate like that, great, but I think your upside on negotiating your rate is slim, myself.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCServe View Post
                    A lady I work with is ex-contractor and she mentioned about the sorts of rates you can get, similar to some of the figures bandied about above. On the one hand, I can't see how I could command that. On the other hand, my employer sub-contracts me out at £700pd anyway, so maybe that sort of money is a bargain!
                    That can be like apples and pears though and is not always a fair way to compare things. It is possible they contract you out with a host of backup support, manuals, docs and all sorts so it isn't really comparable like that so have to be careful.

I think, on the basis that I don't know if other agencies are involved, I'll just say that the advertised rate of £375 is fine, but I'll let them negotiate me down if it comes to it. I hate negotiating with money - it seems I'll have to get used to it if I do get into contracting.[/QUOTE]

You will have to get used to the price dropping after you contact them, it does happen and sometimes you can stand your ground, sometimes you have to fold. You don't HAVE to negotiate up if you don't like it through

If you are new to the rates and all this have you made sure your clear about LTD/Company, got an accountant and all the other gumpf that comes with contracting?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X