• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Temporary' contracts on pro rata

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Temporary' contracts on pro rata

I understand what these types of contracts are and the fact they have no benefits of permie but all the risk of 'proper contracts' yada yada yada....

I just happened to notice 2 of these being advertised recently, albeit a little covertly as I didn't find out until I applied. Now I am waiting for the rates and am not expecting much but the agent said he had little interest in this and it has been up for a couple of days. I explained the situation to him and the light bulb clicked on.. anyway....

The job itself is pretty senior with reputable company etc and apart from the rate and contract status it would look good on a CV....

As long as the rate isn't truely disasterous I would consider this role if nothing more to get it on my CV and get the experience. I am at a similar level, just a techology/role move but would add good flexibility. I also think I might be in for a chance due to most people who can do this job may avoid the contract status like the plague....

Does anyone have any experience of working under these contracts. If I negotiate a 6 month renewal and then just not renew when I have enough time spent? Are they going to spot this when I apply? What are the quality of people like taking these up?

The agent insisted they would consider the contract being with my LTD co so can still work under a services option but firstly I can't beleive this and secondly this has to be well within IR35 due to the nature of the role. Comments?

Any advice would be great. Thanks
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I understand what these types of contracts are and the fact they have no benefits of permie but all the risk of 'proper contracts' yada yada yada....

I just happened to notice 2 of these being advertised recently, albeit a little covertly as I didn't find out until I applied. Now I am waiting for the rates and am not expecting much but the agent said he had little interest in this and it has been up for a couple of days. I explained the situation to him and the light bulb clicked on.. anyway....

The job itself is pretty senior with reputable company etc and apart from the rate and contract status it would look good on a CV....

As long as the rate isn't truely disasterous I would consider this role if nothing more to get it on my CV and get the experience. I am at a similar level, just a techology/role move but would add good flexibility. I also think I might be in for a chance due to most people who can do this job may avoid the contract status like the plague....

Does anyone have any experience of working under these contracts. If I negotiate a 6 month renewal and then just not renew when I have enough time spent? Are they going to spot this when I apply? What are the quality of people like taking these up?

The agent insisted they would consider the contract being with my LTD co so can still work under a services option but firstly I can't beleive this and secondly this has to be well within IR35 due to the nature of the role. Comments?

Any advice would be great. Thanks
    You'll probably be on a months notice anyway ? The ones I've seen lately used a 12 month completion bonus to try and keep you there. In 2003 when it was slow and these popped up everybody just left once the contract market came good. The Co's doing them know this, they are just trying to save a bob or two, treat it accordingly. If they add 12% to the rate for the Employers NI that they will save then it may be worth going Ltd.

Comment

WHS - These are rarely first choice because they offer the worst of both worlds and always look like a contract on half the going rate. But - If you can see a longer term benefit (stepping stone to diff area, more senior, way into a co you really want to join) then that might make it worthwhile, especially if you aren't burdened down by too many other offers ! In those circumstances I would take it but would have few qualms in bailing for a better offer, which I would rarely consider if being paid the going rate.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        You'll probably be on a months notice anyway ? The ones I've seen lately used a 12 month completion bonus to try and keep you there. In 2003 when it was slow and these popped up everybody just left once the contract market came good. The Co's doing them know this, they are just trying to save a bob or two, treat it accordingly. If they add 12% to the rate for the Employers NI that they will save then it may be worth going Ltd.
        This is interesting. Didn't know this. A few of my friends are on these in BUPA and they seem to be 6 month rolling with no extra's let alone a retention bonus. I didn't know these were around in 2003. I thought they were a new thing. I had hoped they were going to pop up and the die. Could be a nightmare for us all if this type of emploment contract becomes the norm...

I agree Lukemg. The most important thing would have been the notice period. A quick exit was number 2 on the list behind good experience on my list of wants. Still waiting so will see.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Got offered one with Microsoft earlier in the year. As said, it's really like being perm but without all the benefits.

That said. It can be seen as a good way to get into a more mangement role. Interim management or maternity cover style contracts like this can run and run & if you are happy with the rate then I don't see why you cannot consider it.

I for one have already had two perm stints in 13 years and did so because of opportunity and money. Just about to take another with a major OEM , no way I could of got this if all I had done was contract in my niche area
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
          X