• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm feeling a bit confused...How does this sound to you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm feeling a bit confused...How does this sound to you

Hi,

About a week ago I went to interviews for 2 separate roles one role I really wanted and 1 role (as it paid more) I wasn't too fussed about (one that didn't pay as much).

The interview for the 1st role went pretty good, and I was in discussions with agent regarding the money as the client (based overseas was concerned) had some issues which we are in the process of ironing out. My last conversation regarding this role was that I would get an answer by today at the latest.

The second role I had a second interview for and just received an offer. I know should be happy but...frankly.... I'm non plused. I've accepted but I've told agent 'its subject to contract' and the agents suddenly dropped in the conversation I'm working 'direct with the client' which has annoyed me because at no point to the discussions with the client or the agent was the issued brought to my attention.

So point is this.

I wondering what my position regarding the second interview. Although I've accepted 'subject to contract' if the agent from the role i wanted made me an offer I would drop this other contract like a hot brick.

I want to contact the first agent for the role I wanted and tell them I have another offer subject to contract. but I need answer from the regarding the interview with client as I would happily knock the 2nd offer back

What's the best way to do this?

I know this might seem 'ultra simple' never been in this situation before and feeling totally confused.
    Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 13 April 2010, 09:16.

Not answer your phone for the rest of the day unless the phone number that comes up is from the first role.

Comment

Am sorry to ask this but bearing in mind you already have active post on this exact topic but one step later do you really think you should be contracting?? It sounds like you are right out of your comfort zone if you can't juggle two agents for a couple of days to get the best deal foryourself without fretting about it. I would suggest a nice safe permie job without the scariness of decision making for you. God knows what you are going to do when they serve you notice or screw you over mid contract!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I once was just honest with the agency when in a similar situation. I had two interviews for different projects at the same client co. The first interview and offer came for the contract I had already decided from the job spec I wouldn't really want. WHen the offer came in I then told the agency I had another interview lined up the next day and asked them to tell the client the situation and told them to explain that they should expect contractors to weigh up contracts. I didn't mention it was at same client though in case they tried to ruined my chances. Offer 2 came in and I took that instead. The next day during the interview for the other project I told them I need to know ASAP due to another offer at the same client co and thankfully I received that call later the same day.
        I never bumped into anyone who interviewed me although I heard from another source that they found out I had been hired by another project.

Honesty the best policy?
        Last edited by SuperZ; 13 April 2010, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
          .......About a week ago I went to interviews for 2 separate roles one role I really wanted and 1 role (as it paid more) I wasn't too fussed about (one that didn't pay as much).

The interview for the 1st role went pretty good, and I was in discussions with agent regarding the money as the client (based overseas was concerned) had some issues which we are in the process of ironing out. My last conversation regarding this role was that I would get an answer by today at the latest.

The second role I had a second interview for and just received an offer. I know should be happy but...frankly.... I'm non plused. I've accepted but I've told agent 'its subject to contract' and the agents suddenly dropped in the conversation I'm working 'direct with the client' which has annoyed me because at no point to the discussions with the client or the agent was the issued brought to my attention.

So point is this.

I wondering what my position regarding the second interview. Although I've accepted 'subject to contract' if the agent from the role i wanted made me an offer I would drop this other contract like a hot brick.

I want to contact the first agent for the role I wanted and tell them I have another offer subject to contract. but I need answer from the regarding the interview with client as I would happily knock the 2nd offer back

What's the best way to do this?

I know this might seem 'ultra simple' never been in this situation before and feeling totally confused.
          I was going to highlight the bits I found difficult to understand but settled on the direct opposite....

but I think you just want to know how to "balance" two pimps.....
          Easy... Accepted "subject to contract" equates to "Not accepted"...... if the other role comes up trumps..... ie if your preferred contract comes up you find a clause in the contract you want changed.... something as basic as "The rate is too low - please double it"..... when they say NO - problem solved.

Comment

I'm going to defend the OP on this as this is the one area of my game that I'm pretty weak on too.

I do get stressed when I'm stuck between 2 pushy agents, just as I have been this afternoon.

And you thought I was perfect, didn't you?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Think you're confusing yourself with Mary Poppins
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Err... No! Never.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X