• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on working with RBS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on working with RBS?

Hi, I have been hired by RBS on the IT side. Only got impressions from interview to go on and chatting to my personal business manager (RBS). Seem like a good company to work for but is there anything I should look out for?

E.g.
    hours of work? I hear they do a kind of flexi-time but does that apply to contractors?

Do they expect you to put in extra hours for free? I am on a day rate - if you work extra hours do they pay pro rata? - I expect not...

Do they work to high standards and do they tolerate the usual % of slackers that I've found on most jobs?

Thanks for any advice

Originally posted by vegan4life View Post
    Hi, I have been hired by RBS on the IT side. Only got impressions from interview to go on and chatting to my personal business manager (RBS). Seem like a good company to work for but is there anything I should look out for?

E.g.
    hours of work? I hear they do a kind of flexi-time but does that apply to contractors?

Do they expect you to put in extra hours for free? I am on a day rate - if you work extra hours do they pay pro rata? - I expect not...

Do they work to high standards and do they tolerate the usual % of slackers that I've found on most jobs?

Thanks for any advice

Long hours, and yes "free". No slacking. They pay very well (or used too) but expect alot in return.

Comment

RBS are hiring like crazy right now. I heard they even poached teams of people from Barclays Capital recently.

Comment

Originally posted by vegan4life View Post
        tolerate the usual % of slackers that I've found on most jobs?
        Uh huh ..... those 'other' people right?

why would you care if it has its fair share of slackers, unless it was hoping that it does. Slackers make you look better.

Comment

Banks pay top dollar, and expect the work and results to match.

As has been said before in other threads, it does depend on the mentality of the manager too. Some are 18hr pd maniacs and some have there life in order.

I have been forunate to date, not RBS but another bank, having a sensible manager and a managable workload.

Obviously expect some out of normal hours work, but don't let them walk all over you either.

They don't mention "project failure scapegoat" in the role specification, but can be the case.

GL.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            RBS are hiring like crazy right now. I heard they even poached teams of people from Barclays Capital recently.
            I work for Barcap and interviewed for a couple of roles at RBS last week

Comment

i dunno, i know a few who have worked at RBS and none of them enjoyed it. as for slackers, my mate contracted there for 2 1/2 years, and for 18 months of it his team literally did no work. they were dependent on some project that was perpetually two weeks away from completion. they used to have baking contests (as in cake mix and ovens) during the day, i kid you not. he was on £400+ per day too.

Comment

they used to have baking contests (as in cake mix and ovens) during the day, i kid you not. he was on £400+ per day too.
                WTF? Is this some kind of slang?

Comment

no, no slang. actual baking contests. ok they wouldn't actually bake the cakes at the office, they would bake them at home, and then bring them in and they would have taste tests and judges. truly bizarre. i thought my mate was joking when he told me, but he wasn't. think he baked a flan or something.

Comment

Originally posted by facboy View Post
                    no, no slang. actual baking contests. ok they wouldn't actually bake the cakes at the office, they would bake them at home, and then bring them in and they would have taste tests and judges. truly bizarre. i thought my mate was joking when he told me, but he wasn't. think he baked a flan or something.
                    Ahh the good old days of comradery and fun in the office. Brings back so many memories. You ought to be thankful they are forward thinking enough to allow this cause I am dam sure it won't be around for long
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X