• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking the mobile on holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the mobile on holiday

One of the permies at ClientCo is being ordered on holiday so he doesn't lose it. I suggested he leave his mobile in his desk. He said:

"I have to take it. I can't face coming back from holiday and having all those emails in my inbox. I just worry about it all the time and it spoils the holiday. So I take the mobile and use it to keep on top of my inbox."

Is he mad or is he right?

It got me wondering ... do I offer to be available on holiday for a rate?
    You know what you wanna do with that right, you wanna put a bangin' donk on it!
    Put a donk on it!

He's mad. If he can't prioritise or switch off when not at work he'll make himself ill then burnout.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicely Nicely View Post
      One of the permies at ClientCo is being ordered on holiday so he doesn't lose it. I suggested he leave his mobile in his desk. He said:

"I have to take it. I can't face coming back from holiday and having all those emails in my inbox. I just worry about it all the time and it spoils the holiday. So I take the mobile and use it to keep on top of my inbox."

I am with the guy. I like to be in touch while on hols. I don't feel it spoils my holiday checking mail once a day or when I am just sitting having a coffee and fell much more at ease abotu what is going on while I am not there.

You are a contractor... You don't get holiday FFS
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That suggests to me that the chap is far too important to the organisation.

He should be sharing his job...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Nicely Nicely View Post

Half and half. When I was perm and in a senior management role recently I was still 'expected' to keep in touch. What I actually did was make sure my team covered all of my roles and set my out of office accordingly. I did read all of the emails but only prompted my team to do the right thing as opposed to replying to emails directly.

As a contractor though. Never. Never. Never.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            That suggests to me that the chap is far too important to the organisation.

He should be sharing his job...
            Doesn't suggest that at all. Suggests he has a preference to know whats going on rather than be oblivious to it thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You are a contractor... You don't get holiday FFS
              I am a contractor and I've been on loads of holidays.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I am a contractor and I've been on loads of holidays.
                You might GO on them. You don't get them from the client. When you are not there you are not working. It is not a holiday...

But you know that and I have just been suckered havn't I

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  When you are not there you are not working. It is not a holiday...
                  Normal practice is that if you want to take a holiday you negotiate with your client, who agrees to your absence, and you go on holiday. You may not be able to bill while you're on holiday, but it's definitely a holiday.

I generally don't worry about what is going on in the office, but then I generally try to organise my holidays and projects in such a way as I'm not likely to be missed. Having two weeks off over a go live is a bit of a no no, and clients generally won't schedule anything important that requires you if they know you aren't going to be there.
                  Last edited by doodab; 26 March 2010, 14:50.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've forward all the mail I receive at one client to a webmail account. I can then keep an eye on what's going on when I'm not in their office for whatever reasons.

Helps me to prioritise what needs doing when I go back in, so I can get more done... and so leave earlier!
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X