• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous Employment section for contracts where I used an umbrella

Hi, I'm filling in the SC clearance SQ now and I've got to the previous employment section.

There was a 6 year period where I was working as a contractor using umbrella companies (I used 2 different umbrellas over this time).

I'm assuming I shouldn't say I was self employed, because technically I was the employee of the umbrella?

And should I give the address of the umbrella as my employer's address, or the clients?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gusgorman View Post
      And should I give the address of the umbrella as my employer's address, or the clients?
      Thanks!
      Were you employed by the client?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Were you employed by the client?
        Well yes - but the reason I ask is once you are using an umbrella company then you are their employee.

But now I'm writing it out it seems stupid - seems more sensible to put the address of the client (despite it technically being incorrect)

Comment

Well yes - but the reason I ask is once you are using an umbrella company then you are their employee.

But now I'm writing it out it seems stupid - seems more sensible to put the address of the client (despite it technically being incorrect)
          Why do you think they want the address of the employer? What will the client be able to tell them bearing in mind you had absolutely no relationship with the client?

And you are going to be dealing with sensitive data... :

Comment

Why do you think they want the address of the employer? What will the client be able to tell them bearing in mind you had absolutely no relationship with the client?

And you are going to be dealing with sensitive data... :
            Sorry I really don't understand you at all.

What do you mean by "What will the client be able to tell them bearing in mind you had absolutely no relationship with the client?"

I did have a relationship with the client. They gave me a contract and then I worked in their office and completed a project for them.

I just used an umbrella company who invoiced on my behalf rather than setting up my own limited company.

Comment

What do you mean by "What will the client be able to tell them bearing in mind you had absolutely no relationship with the client?"

I did have a relationship with the client. They gave me a contract and then I worked in their office and completed a project for them.

I just used an umbrella company who invoiced on my behalf rather than setting up my own limited company.
              Who was your legal employer? Put that company/those companies down on your form.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No they didnt. They gave the umbrella a contract. The umbrella supplied you as their employee. You attended the clients site to do the work. No contractual relationship with the client.

You are obviously struggling hard.. So to make it simple.. If they want the address of your employer.... Put... The... Address... Of... Your.... Employer....
                Last edited by northernladuk; 5 January 2021, 22:10.

Comment

No they didnt. They gave the umbrella a contract. The umbrella supplied you as their employee. You attended the clients site to do the work. No contractual relationship with the client.

You are obviously struggling hard.. So to make it simple.. If they want the address of your employer.... Put... The... Address... Of... Your.... Employer....
                  haha - bearing in mind the utter nonsense you wrote about me having no relationship with the client, you might want to check the tone of your own posts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Who was your legal employer? Put that company/those companies down on your form.
                    Thanks - that was my initial thought, but then of course I have to enter the info about my Supervisors, who are the business owners + project managers at the client, rather than the umbrella, which is why I've asked the question in the first place. It doesn't seem to quite fit.

Comment

Thanks - that was my initial thought, but then of course I have to enter the info about my Supervisors, who are the business owners + project managers at the client, rather than the umbrella, which is why I've asked the question in the first place. It doesn't seem to quite fit.
                      Christ on a bike. I've never seen anything like this. I'll try put it as simply as possible.

In the chain is you-->umbrella-->client. Bar doing the work for the client you have no contractual relationship with the client. The security vetting have absolutely no interest in the client. The client holds no records for you. You were a supplier that came and went, the client's staff don't give a flying monkies about you. If you can't get this I hate to think how you operate your LTD.

The security company want to know your employer so they can ask them for records about you, when you were employed, for how long, doing what etc to make sure what you tell them is the truth. How on earth can the client of the brolly do any of that? If you are employed by the brolly and the form wants you to put the details of the employer then for gods sake read the question and give them what they want. It's not hard.

I don't understand why you can't understand what you do. I'd suggest you work it out quick. We've got IR35 hitting us hard in April and knowing the fundamentals of your work is essential.

Just in case that's a bit complicated. If they want employer details...put the employer details. Not the clients, not the bloke next door, nothing.. just the employer details.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 6 January 2021, 09:36.

Comment

Working...
                      X