• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, it’s actually a contractor position within my previous employer’s organisation. I’d just be a contractor this time with an agency/consultancy as opposed to being an employee there. Nothing would change except the company who pays me.

Comment

Originally posted by hodd View Post
      Hi, it’s actually a contractor position within my previous employer’s organisation. I’d just be a contractor this time with an agency/consultancy as opposed to being an employee there. Nothing would change except the company who pays me.
      Which says to me that the new role does not require SC clearance…

As has also been said several times, clearance belongs to the role, not the person filling it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

OK thanks.

Comment

Just an update then.

I’ve seen the information from UK SV. It says (** are dates but best not to write specifics):

Clearance Type: SC Lapsed on **/**/2019 (my leaving date)
          Valid from **/12/2018
          Expires: **/12/2028

So if I go to a new company, they apparently have to start my SC from scratch.

Comment

Just an update then.

I’ve seen the information from UK SV. It says (** are dates but best not to write specifics):

Clearance Type: SC Lapsed on **/**/2019 (my leaving date)
            Valid from **/12/2018
            Expires: **/12/2028

So if I go to a new company, they apparently have to start my SC from scratch.
            it should be good for a transfer, all other things permitting, for up to a year (for contractors) after you left the last client.

But yous looks to be 10 year clearance. Which implies you were a permie. Which gives a longer time for it still to be valid for a transfer.

All of this is academic. Just show the paperwork you have. At the end of the day, you've had it before so it's easier to get again. That makes clients and agents comfortable.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yes, it was a permie role.

The new company/agency in question aren’t being proactive so I might have to go elsewhere. They’re just saying they can’t transfer my SC and would have to apply from scratch.

As you say, even if that were the case, my recent SC should hopefully be viewed favourably. We’ll see.

P.s. there’s nothing untoward here ? My SC wasn’t lapsed through any naughtiness.

Comment

Yes, it was a permie role.

The new company/agency in question aren’t being proactive so I might have to go elsewhere. They’re just saying they can’t transfer my SC and would have to apply from scratch.

As you say, even if that were the case, my recent SC should hopefully be viewed favourably. We’ll see.

P.s. there’s nothing untoward here [emoji846] My SC wasn’t lapsed through any naughtiness.
                Doesn’t sound so bad. My last one, albeit expedited, took two weeks. I can’t see there being any unusual delays in the vetting process right now.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Well, I’m still in a (non-defence) contract which is just as well as the vetting website shows this message:

UKSV is currently operating, with a significantly reduced workforce, in support of the COVID-19 containment effort. As such the need to reduce to a minimum business as usual workflow is crucial. We therefore ask that you initiate only those cases which relate directly to COVID-19 or are within the Priority category. All other vetting activity will be processed only when UKSV capacity allows. Our telephone lines are now closed however you can still contact us via email for urgent enquiries at [email protected]. Please only contact us if your enquiry is business critical.

Comment

Its beyond a joke. Agents are still demanding active SC or DV for all but 1 contract I've seen lately. The most recent one told me its because of a huge backlog due to Covid 19 causing months of delay in processing applications.
                    So after repeatedly hitting my head against the impenetrable 'SC cleared' market wall, I contacted UKSV to ask what is going on.

I've just received a reply from them. It doesn't deny there is a backlog, or tell us much new, but it is a reminder of some ways to fight back against lazy recruitment agents. I think the key point is that UKSV is 'open', so anyone saying its closed is just telling you lies.

Sharing for the forum:

Thank you for your email. UKSV have now released communications to all organisations outlining its demand management plan and capacity.

This means organisations can now start to submit applications, in line with the demand management controls in place. Please seek guidance from your Sponsor for further information.

This is taken directly from the GOV.UK website.

You do not need to hold security clearances to bid for MOD work advertised in the Official Journal of the European Community and other sources. The MOD contracting procedures make sure that there is no competitive advantage in having prior security clearances. Requests for clearances must be raised during the contractual process.

Advertising for staff that already hold a security clearance is contrary to government policy, unnecessary and potentially discriminatory, as laid out in the Cabinet Office code of practice document, “Recruiting for vacancies requiring National Security Vetting Clearance.” Any individual who sees such a criterion specified in advertisements when seeking employment can inform the Cabinet Office by forwarding full details of the post and the employer to the following email address: [email protected].

Recruiters are not really allowed to specify that an applicant must already hold clearance except in the case of a fixed short term contract.

The following document shows the guidelines regarding recruiting for positions requiring vetting.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...tingPolicy.pdf

The document can be found on the gov.uk website by typing ‘industry security notice’ in the search bar and selecting the result entitled ‘National Security vetting and government contracting policy’

Specific cases where jobs are advertised as requiring clearance without reason can be referred to the Mystery Shopper Scheme, which is referenced in the IPSE Code of Practice on recruiting for vacancies requiring National Security Vetting clearance:

Mystery Shopper: Scope and Remit - GOV.UK

Regards

<name removed>

UKSV Enquiry Centre Agent
                    United Kingdom Security Vetting

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                      Its beyond a joke. Agents are still demanding active SC or DV for all but 1 contract I've seen lately. The most recent one told me its because of a huge backlog due to Covid 19 causing months of delay in processing applications.
                      So after repeatedly hitting my head against the impenetrable 'SC cleared' market wall, I contacted UKSV to ask what is going on.

I've just received a reply from them. It doesn't deny there is a backlog, or tell us much new, but it is a reminder of some ways to fight back against lazy recruitment agents. I think the key point is that UKSV is 'open', so anyone saying its closed is just telling you lies.

Sharing for the forum:
                      Good to see my work is still being quoted...

The problem is not the clearance process, it's the agencies and non-ministry hiring managers: the former simply use it as an excuse to reduce their workload, and the latter prefer to keep the budget they had to allocate in their original tender response for managing non-cleared staff for other things....
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X