• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.fcoservices.gov.uk/produ...urity-vetting/

Anyone else find this interesting to read?

Comment

Hello everyone, I work for a vendor in IT security as a contractor with the potential to work with government agencies in the future. I was investigating whether I could be proactive and start a security clearance process ahead of winning business to prevent delays to the project.

From what I understand from the FAQ that isn't possible as I would need a sponsor right?

So to start the process to complete the Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check I would need the customer to sponsor me?

Thank you.

Comment

Getting clearance with a criminal record?

Hi all,

After making a huge mistake when I was 19 which is now 11 years ago I spent 6 months in prison. Since then I have never been in trouble with the police again, and my conviction is "spent", I've completed university, got married had a kid and have a great credit score.

My issue is, I have just been offered a job at a new company and in the offer letter they have stated I will need to be security vetted either at the start of employment or when necessary (this is something that has never been previously mentioned).
        It's a great opportunity and good salary and with my new baby I am eager to pursue a career and provide for my family.

1. Will I be disregarded for clearance for being in prison for 6 months, I plan on being honest with the agency when they ask the relevant questions.

2. Will my employer be notified of my conviction if I pass or fail? (they have never asked if I have a conviction)

3. Should I just take the job hope for the best and be honest if and when I need SC?

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

No one knows. The reason is everything depends on what the conviction is for and whether it means you could easily be blackmailed.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by bobmarle View Post
            Hi all,

After making a huge mistake when I was 19 which is now 11 years ago I spent 6 months in prison. Since then I have never been in trouble with the police again, and my conviction is "spent", I've completed university, got married had a kid and have a great credit score.

My issue is, I have just been offered a job at a new company and in the offer letter they have stated I will need to be security vetted either at the start of employment or when necessary (this is something that has never been previously mentioned).
            It's a great opportunity and good salary and with my new baby I am eager to pursue a career and provide for my family.

1. Will I be disregarded for clearance for being in prison for 6 months, I plan on being honest with the agency when they ask the relevant questions.

2. Will my employer be notified of my conviction if I pass or fail? (they have never asked if I have a conviction)

3. Should I just take the job hope for the best and be honest if and when I need SC?

Thanks for the advice.
            Just be honest. I've been security cleared for 12 years and apart from the original one been through 2 renewals with a criminal conviction (no prison time etc though). As a previous poster mentioned, they care about your ability to be blackmailed about the conviction. If you're honest and you disclose it on the vetting forms then it takes away the issue of being blackmailed. However, it does matter somewhat if the conviction was for fraud etc. I'd still be honest though.

Comment

Originally posted by tiduz View Post
              Hello everyone, I work for a vendor in IT security as a contractor with the potential to work with government agencies in the future. I was investigating whether I could be proactive and start a security clearance process ahead of winning business to prevent delays to the project.

From what I understand from the FAQ that isn't possible as I would need a sponsor right?

So to start the process to complete the Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check I would need the customer to sponsor me?

Thank you.
              List X client needs to sponsor SC. Cannot get it without being sponsored. Personally l wouldn't bother with BPSS prior to any role as most roles now will have a vetting team that will insist they do it anyway as soon as you start.

Comment

SC Application Questions

Comment

Only took 3-4 weeks. Pretty fast....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Security Clearanse

Had had SC clearance and it was due to lapse , so started a new job worked on SC site for 8weeks but they did not transfer it from previous and now it has lapsed can I sue the company for not transferring it time, now I have to get another company to sponsor me so have missed out on a good contract which I obtained

Comment

Originally posted by mannka View Post
                      Had had SC clearance and it was due to lapse , so started a new job worked on SC site for 8weeks but they did not transfer it from previous and now it has lapsed can I sue the company for not transferring it time, now I have to get another company to sponsor me so have missed out on a good contract which I obtained
                      Yes, for a hundred million trillion pounds, muhahaha, muhahaha..

Serious answer, no. Stop thinking like an employee, it’s B2B ‘you’ can’t sue anyone except possibly yourco.....

Comment

Working...
                      X