• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I don't suppose anyone is still active on this thread?

Basically I am in a similar predicament. I have put in for my SC clearance but I am worried
    because I received a police caution when I was 16 (now 21) for drunk and disorderly. I have declared
    it in the application but I'm worried if it'll affect my chances on being cleared?

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by olly432 View Post

Basically I am in a similar predicament. I have put in for my SC clearance but I am worried
      because I received a police caution when I was 16 (now 21) for drunk and disorderly. I have declared
      it in the application but I'm worried if it'll affect my chances on being cleared?

What do you think?
      Yes, you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by olly432 View Post

What do you think?
        Did you read the thread at all? I know it's a long messy one but this type of question and the standard answer is all over the place. A couple of pages and you would have found it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Did you read the thread at all? I know it's a long messy one but this type of question and the standard answer is all over the place. A couple of pages and you would have found it.
          Sorry, I apologize! I went through it a bit and found some other cases but had slight differences to my situation and I just wanted to make sure

Comment

Originally posted by Robk999 View Post
            I have just received my SC clearance and it took 4 months from when I submitted the online form.
            The DVA are currently quoting a 16 week turnaround - as of September 2017.
            I just put two new employees through and they both took exactly that length of time - 16 weeks and one day!

Comment

It recently took 2 months just to transfer a current SC clearance. Looks like it's going back to the bad old days.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Police SC has different criteria to MOD SC and Home Office SC. They are not necessarily interchangeable. It could well be one of your agents doesn't know that. No idea which one though, you'll need tho ask the client.
                Sorry thread grave digging here so my apologies to all concerned but is home office SC registered as SC enhanced (SC+STRAPs?)

The enhanced bit I noticed recently seems to be cropping up and a lot of people on the contractor circuit have been talking about it, mostly because of agencies have been spam calling colleagues asking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
                  Sorry thread grave digging here so my apologies to all concerned but is home office SC registered as SC enhanced (SC+STRAPs?)

The enhanced bit I noticed recently seems to be cropping up and a lot of people on the contractor circuit have been talking about it, mostly because of agencies have been spam calling colleagues asking about it.
                  Probably not a good idea to discuss higher levels of security clearance here... Suffice to say there are layers within layers: as I keep saying, it's a risk assessment, not a blanket certification.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

All Adverts seen want pre existing clearance

Q : I am not SC cleared and seen a great role but it says SC holding applications only please?

It is illegal for the agent to discriminate in this way and it is highly likely he is not working in the best interests of the customer as he maybe passing over the best talent in preference for some chump with SC. Apply anyway and then report him. Address to follow, as I can't find it right now.

I constantly see job adverts on Indeed, Total Jobs, CV Library, etc, that all say they want someone who already has SC clearance. I have yet to see a position advertised (in 3 months of looking) that say they will sponsor someone.

Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Comment

Originally posted by jcastle View Post
                      Q : I am not SC cleared and seen a great role but it says SC holding applications only please?

It is illegal for the agent to discriminate in this way and it is highly likely he is not working in the best interests of the customer as he maybe passing over the best talent in preference for some chump with SC. Apply anyway and then report him. Address to follow, as I can't find it right now.

I constantly see job adverts on Indeed, Total Jobs, CV Library, etc, that all say they want someone who already has SC clearance. I have yet to see a position advertised (in 3 months of looking) that say they will sponsor someone.

Am I just looking in the wrong places?
                      It's not illegal, simply against Cabinet Office rules. However it has proved very difficult to establish a sanction that works to prevent agencies and hiring managers abusing the rules. As you say, the consequence is poor performance in many PS roles where the need for clearance (often unnecessary, if the truth be told) overrides the need for competence.

Your only real option is to apply and one day someone will value you enough to sponsor your clearance (or take a permanent role that carries clearance). As usual, the basic inadequacy of the agency business and its determination to spend as little effort as possible to fill a role will probably stop you succeeding.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X