• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Perhaps. Depends on why you left. And if your clearance is acceptable to the new SSO for the role in question. And assuming you've havent' gone to some far flung foreigh land on the Home Office's list.

As I keep saying - and one day it will sink in - there are no hard and fast rules about transfer and/or retention of clearances.
    Voluntary redundancy so no bad vibes there I hope! lol.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So in my case if its up to original employer A then they are likely to be happy to transfer to new outsourcing company they are using i guess. Even if i left 2 years ago.

I guess then as long as i start to work for new client they now hold my reg and im ok for 12 months even if i subsequently leave?
    Perhaps. Depends on why you left. And if your clearance is acceptable to the new SSO for the role in question. And assuming you've havent' gone to some far flung foreigh land on the Home Office's list.

As I keep saying - and one day it will sink in - there are no hard and fast rules about transfer and/or retention of clearances.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    So in my case if its up to original employer A then they are likely to be happy to transfer to new outsourcing company they are using i guess. Even if i left 2 years ago.

I guess then as long as i start to work for new client they now hold my reg and im ok for 12 months even if i subsequently leave?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Am not so sure that is the employers call.
    No, it's down to the local Site Security Officer or equivalent, who tracks cleared personnel. Clearance is a risk assessment; if they know you, know your status and have an idea where you've been since you left them, and assuming your original clearance is still valid (Clearances last five years for contractors as long as you need to hold it; the one year carry-over is merely an administrative convenience) then it's their decision whether or not you need to go through the system again.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Does the fact that its same physical site make a difference?

I've asked and they said yes the clearance is sorted. BUT, there is mileage in checking - dont want to turn up first day and them to go ah theres a problem sorry no go.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Employer A probably dug the records out, decided you weren't a risk under the circumstances and reinstated your clearance.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Interesting one for the SC experts.
    Worked as permie for employer A on site B over 2 years ago. At the time, I was SC cleared.
    Contract comes up that needs SC. Working for client C who are an outsourcing company who provide services to A at site B.

First thing I thought was no go - SC has now lapsed. But agency have spoken to client C who have managed to transfer over my clearance to them.

Any idea how this was possible? Is it because its still same physical site?

If its all worked, does this mean I am now SC again (or is there a minimum time I need to work in SC role again) even if gig only lasts a month? And can claim SC for the following 12 months?
    It depends on who did the clearance. Different agencies have different criteria for re-instating SC. MoD would be far less flexible than the NHS for example.

I would ask for official confirmation of your clearance status from the client. They should be able to give you a letter stating your clearance date and expiry and who holds it. Assuming it's all been done right, then yes, you should be good for another 12 months even if the gig only lasts a week.

Employer A probably dug the records out, decided you weren't a risk under the circumstances and reinstated your clearance.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Interesting one for the SC experts.
    Worked as permie for employer A on site B over 2 years ago. At the time, I was SC cleared.
    Contract comes up that needs SC. Working for client C who are an outsourcing company who provide services to A at site B.

First thing I thought was no go - SC has now lapsed. But agency have spoken to client C who have managed to transfer over my clearance to them.

Any idea how this was possible? Is it because its still same physical site?

If its all worked, does this mean I am now SC again (or is there a minimum time I need to work in SC role again) even if gig only lasts a month? And can claim SC for the following 12 months?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by hunny4 View Post
    I would like to to apply for a custody job i have my door supervisors badge but i have a criminal record
    I have a clean record for 13 yrs i did spend time in prison 7 months on a 18 month sentance i have no violence on my record will i get security cleared as id really like to do a custody job
    That question has been answered several times already. Including in the post immediately before this one.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• hunny4
    replied
    Will i get Clearance

I would like to to apply for a custody job i have my door supervisors badge but i have a criminal record
    I have a clean record for 13 yrs i did spend time in prison 7 months on a 18 month sentance i have no violence on my record will i get security cleared as id really like to do a custody job

Leave a comment:

Working...
X