• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris101 View Post
    No logon, simply many forms that I completed in Jan and send back to the company for them to send on.
    What is the logon about and how does it tie in with the process?
    Clearances are done online. The processing company will have received the "many forms" that you completed & used them to create a logon for you on their Portal. This logon normally has a time-expiry limit (14 days IIRC).

If you haven't been contacted by the company Sponsoring you with these details yet, then I'm afraid they haven't processed your clearance documents, or they have decided not to proceed / or the answer on your initial form did not meet with the Compliance.

They should keep you informed throughout the process, so I would go back to the Sponsor for an update.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Hi all.
      I'm applying for the Royal Navy soon and I'm just wondering will my family affect SC?

My Father is a habitual criminal, with more convictions that I and every body on this thread has fingers and toes (I'm being honest there) he's currently in prison for affray/shop lifting and has burgled houses, armed robbery on post office's, assault, GBH, drink driving, theft, drugs, car seized by customs for massive amounts of cigarettes from Europe, he's on drugs and I have no idea how many convictions he has. It's probably more than 100. Will he stop me getting in the Navy? Although I don't have that much contact with him, if at all any... it's not unusual for a year to go by without talking to him...

Royal Marines so it wouldn't rally have any bearing on the situation would it?

Comment

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the Cabinet Office have just released an updated and rather more effective Code of Practice for hiring into vacancies needing clearance.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Don't know if anyone noticed, but the Cabinet Office have just released an updated and rather more effective Code of Practice for hiring into vacancies needing clearance.
          All well and good but its the client to blame rather than the agencies I fear because:-

1) No client is that organised ever to plan vacancies in advance anyway. Just doesnt happen - especially if said vacancy is for contractor. If they could wait, they'd be able to wait for the permie recruitment process to run.

2) Every single client will think they are a special case (as per point 9) because they need someone urgently. How many contracts have you ever applied for where they say, nah dont worry start whenever, have a holiday, start in a few months?

3) They've ignored this before and will probably continue to do so. Because nothing gets done.

4) Its impossible to prove anyway. Even if agencies/client were forced somehow into offering it up to non-cleared candidates what will happen? Two piles of CVs, currently cleared and non-cleared - one pile goes in the bin. Guess which? Prove that one.

Like the mystery shopper idea. Being that person must be the easiest job in the UK. Log onto jobserve - I can guarantee there will be at least 100 contract roles stating that current clearance is essential.

Nothings going to change until client/agencies get into real grief for ignoring this. But I fear even if you smack a few on the wrist for the way they currently advertising, they're just going to resort to (4). Impossible to prove really.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            All well and good but its the client to blame rather than the agencies I fear because:-

1) No client is that organised ever to plan vacancies in advance anyway. Just doesnt happen - especially if said vacancy is for contractor. If they could wait, they'd be able to wait for the permie recruitment process to run.

2) Every single client will think they are a special case (as per point 9) because they need someone urgently. How many contracts have you ever applied for where they say, nah dont worry start whenever, have a holiday, start in a few months?

3) They've ignored this before and will probably continue to do so. Because nothing gets done.

4) Its impossible to prove anyway. Even if agencies/client were forced somehow into offering it up to non-cleared candidates what will happen? Two piles of CVs, currently cleared and non-cleared - one pile goes in the bin. Guess which? Prove that one.

Like the mystery shopper idea. Being that person must be the easiest job in the UK. Log onto jobserve - I can guarantee there will be at least 100 contract roles stating that current clearance is essential.

Nothings going to change until client/agencies get into real grief for ignoring this. But I fear even if you smack a few on the wrist for the way they currently advertising, they're just going to resort to (4). Impossible to prove really.
            Always good to have your support...

How about if an agency gets flagged a few times they come off the government's PSL? Would that get their attention, do you suppose?

Also this is going to all hiring managers within HMG from Francis Maude. That might also make them pay attention.

And HMG have been persuaded that the current system is only delivering cleared candidates, not good, up-to-date candidates. That has rung a bell or two.

Yes, it's only a start, but it's a good start; it will evolve.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hello, I have landed a job (permie) with a public sector organization and they wanted a criminal record check. No problem with that, they paid for it.

But here comes the problem: I lived and worked in Canada for 6 months and now they are asking me to provide them with a criminal record check from a local police. They don't even know what I have to do (they just told me to "google it out"..); turns out I have to make and send fingerprints (£70) in paper version and mail this to the Canadian police along with $25 application fee. The process takes NO LESS than 22 weeks.

They said it won't delay my start date, just that it's something I have to do...

Anyone of you has had a similar experience of working in Canada and having to go through the same painful process?

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Always good to have your support...

How about if an agency gets flagged a few times they come off the government's PSL? Would that get their attention, do you suppose?

Also this is going to all hiring managers within HMG from Francis Maude. That might also make them pay attention.

And HMG have been persuaded that the current system is only delivering cleared candidates, not good, up-to-date candidates. That has rung a bell or two.

Yes, it's only a start, but it's a good start; it will evolve.
                Don't get me wrong - great idea if it works. I hope it does.

I'm just not sure it will thats all. Fingers crossed though.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

SC Clearance

Hi all
                  I landed on a Permie position in one of the Public Sector services and they want a SC done.
                  They asked for 5 years of residential addresses, 5 years of employment history and 10 years of financial circumstances.

There is one Glitch which is bothering me a lot and don't know what to answer.
                  3 years ago I have worked for a company in a customer facing role. I have also done some UAT testing at the same time(which is not usually a part of the job). Now I moved into Testing completely from the past 3 years.
                  When I applied for this new job the CV I sent said UAT tester instead of the actual role title (because the role title doesn't appeal to a testing position). This is the case with most of the UAT testers.
                  Now, when I give my employment history I will mention the exact position title. Do they cross check with CV and will it be a problem?.. I explained the interviewer who has a testing background and he understood and is OK with it.
                  And secondly, if they go to the HR of that company, they(HR) will not have any idea that I have done UAT testing while I am there. I can give my line managers reference and he can tell them what I have done.

My question is do they accept line manager's reference or will they go to the HR.

Appreciate your advise
                  Thanks a lot

Comment

Glitch

Hi all
                    I landed on a Permie position in one of the Public Sector services and they want a SC done.
                    They asked for 5 years of residential addresses, 5 years of employment history and 10 years of financial circumstances.

3 years ago I have worked for a company in a customer facing role. I have also done some UAT testing at the same time(which is not usually a part of the job). Now I moved into Testing completely from the past 3 years.
                    When I applied for this new job the CV I sent said UAT tester instead of the actual role title (because the role title doesn't appeal to a testing position). This is the case with most of the UAT testers.
                    Now, when I give my employment history I will mention the exact position title. Do they cross check with CV and will it be a problem?.. I explained the interviewer who has a testing background and he understood and is OK with it.
                    And secondly, if they go to the HR of that company, they(HR) will not have any idea that I have done UAT testing while I am there. I can give my line managers reference and he can tell them what I have done.

My question is do they accept line manager's reference or will they go to the HR.

Appreciate your advise
                    Thanks a lot

Comment

Hi all

Appreciate your advise
                      Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                      X