• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland - should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    When people are sat chatting about where they have worked you hear people getting excited about the times they working in Zurich, Saudi, Africa and all them that have chat together. How often do they sit around get excited about working in Nottingham, Manchester and London???
    And from this side of the world, nobody gets excited when you tell them you've worked in Africa, since we live here, and mostly it's crappy! On the other hand, you're "cool" if you've worked in London! So, it's all relative...
    Et tu, Brute?

I came, I saw, I couldn't believe my eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by ettubrute View Post
      And from this side of the world, nobody gets excited when you tell them you've worked in Africa, since we live here, and mostly it's crappy! On the other hand, you're "cool" if you've worked in London! So, it's all relative...
      LOL!! That is very true indeed. You got me there but again shows the fact that living and working in the same place isn't cool. Get a stint in Geneva, do it for 3-6 months and have an experience that can't be matched by a gig in London (or your local big city to keep ettubrute happy lol)
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Let me put a different spin on this for you... All good advice above but.....

Who cares how much it costs? You got to work in Geneva!! Weekends out, nights out .. IN GENEVA.. bring it on!

So it's a bit less cash, not like you are strapped for it right now, jobs a job as well even if it is less but by god you get to live and see the world.

When people are sat chatting about where they have worked you hear people getting excited about the times they working in Zurich, Saudi, Africa and all them that have chat together. How often do they sit around get excited about working in Nottingham, Manchester and London???

In my book go for it. I would love to do a gig abroad, the memories etc will be with you for ever, can you say the same about the next 6 months on the tube in the big smoke?

If your familiy/social life can put up with it why the hell are you sitting here getting rained on....

How is that for a different take on it
        A fair point - I worked in Tanzania for a year and loved it btw

Comment

Originally posted by explorer View Post
          Hang on, Guys..Didn't the op say it's 70k GBP, rather than CHF?
          Oh yes. That's about 110KCHF. (a few years ago it would have been 160K CHF).

Still not a massive income, but not bad. For SAP, it'd be about what you'd expect as a programmer/functional analyst permie job.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Oh yes. That's about 110KCHF. (a few years ago it would have been 160K CHF).

Still not a massive income, but not bad. For SAP, it'd be about what you'd expect as a programmer/functional analyst permie job.
            Yes, I meant 70k GBP

Comment

Let me put a different spin on this for you... Who cares how much it costs? You got to work in Geneva!! Weekends out, nights out .. IN GENEVA.. bring it on!
              Is Geneva a party city then? I've never worked there, but from past posts, I'd got the impression Swiss aren't exactly party animals, rather they are socially conservative and not great mixers?
              Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                Is Geneva a party city then? I've never worked there, but from past posts, I'd got the impression Swiss aren't exactly party animals, rather they are socially conservative and not great mixers?
                From experience, there are plenty of tourists there though
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Am not sure if it is a party city but depends on what you want. I have only been through on a few hours trip while skiing nearby. Either way it is a new country/area to explore, new culture/language and some amazing scenery.

Is that not enough to go see alone. Must be something there to have tourists so why not go work. As I say, sounds far more impressive than London/Manchester/Leighton Buzzard when your in pub chatting about what you have been up to!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    From experience, there are plenty of tourists there though
                    And you get to play with other expats!

Some areas there's more integration with the Swiss, others, less. Basel tends to be more integrated, in Zürich, Swiss and Expats generally aren't in the same bars.

But if you find the Swiss are a problem, you can always play with the French. Or the Italians are a short distance away.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X