• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bench - Blog! How do some of you cope and bag an Interview?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bench - Blog! How do some of you cope and bag an Interview?!

Thought I'd let off some steam and see if any of you guys can relate/provide some reading material/comments!

I finished my last contract at the end of Dec. Its been a month since I returned from hols and have been looking for contracting opportunities. I been trying to fill the void in between of apps by doing SEO/Freelance website work. To date I have applied for more then a 20 roles but had hardly any feedback, I have sent out my CV to numerous agents but no feedback... The very few agent calls I have had - have been trying to recruit for a perm role (which I am not interested in) CV has been put forward for a couple of roles and I am waiting to hear back. However to date I haven't had one client call, no tel interview or face to face... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? My background is Management Consultancy - Telecos and Healthcare. Yes, I have a strong academic history. I have worked for a big 4 consultancy and have been contracting for the last 3 years.

Today - I've rang 5 agents and sent them my cv to them direct. Not one has called back. Applied for 3 roles and chased a role where my CV was put forward. However been told client can take from 2-6 weeks to make a decision. I need a job as being at home is driving me potty....

I have started think my CV isnt right but feedback from colleagues and agents say it is strong but the market is just flooded with PM and banking appears to be only recruiting is this the case. I am particularly interested to hear from those who have bagged an interview/contract recently and if they can share or PM me any pearls of wisdom. I wont give up but for the first time - I am miffed as never been in this scenario.

To be cont'd...
    Never Never Never give up

I always work on a 10% indicator
    applying for 20 roles should get you 2 call backs

I'd say an expected 100 applications before getting a contract would be a good rule of thumb
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MrHelpful View Post
      Thought I'd let off some steam and see if any of you guys can relate/provide some reading material/comments!

I finished my last contract at the end of Dec. Its been a month since I returned from hols and have been looking for contracting opportunities. I been trying to fill the void in between of apps by doing SEO/Freelance website work. To date I have applied for more then a 20 roles but had hardly any feedback, I have sent out my CV to numerous agents but no feedback... The very few agent calls I have had - have been trying to recruit for a perm role (which I am not interested in) CV has been put forward for a couple of roles and I am waiting to hear back. However to date I haven't had one client call, no tel interview or face to face... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? My background is Management Consultancy - Telecos and Healthcare. Yes, I have a strong academic history. I have worked for a big 4 consultancy and have been contracting for the last 3 years.

Today - I've rang 5 agents and sent them my cv to them direct. Not one has called back. Applied for 3 roles and chased a role where my CV was put forward. However been told client can take from 2-6 weeks to make a decision. I need a job as being at home is driving me potty....

I have started think my CV isnt right but feedback from colleagues and agents say it is strong but the market is just flooded with PM and banking appears to be only recruiting is this the case. I am particularly interested to hear from those who have bagged an interview/contract recently and if they can share or PM me any pearls of wisdom. I wont give up but for the first time - I am miffed as never been in this scenario.

To be cont'd...
      Only a month?

Only 20 applications?

Some of us here have been out for longer and applying for more.

You aren't special. Remember what time of the year it is. Keep doing what you're doing and learn a little patience and persistence...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Only a month?

Ok approaching 6 weeks..

Only 20 applications?

Yes - I have only applied for role where I have been a good fit. If unsure I have called the agent beforehand to see what they are looking for and whether I have the necessary skills/experience. Some of you may say your a consultant b*lls**t it through... however I rather only go for where I know I have a chance or have some confidence otherwise your making a bad first impression with the agent.... who in fact is my new best friend

Some of us here have been out for longer and applying for more.

I know but its not quantity but also quality. I rather be applying for fewer and knowing I am strong candidate and have the bandwidth to do the follow up rather then flood and apply for ever role which has one of my cv traits.

You aren't special. Remember what time of the year it is. Keep doing what you're doing and learn a little patience and persistence...

I know I am not special... we're all human... its March and budgets would be finalised for April by now so I am not going to kid myself... with this is wrong time of the year... every day is the same and you go out and capture the role. I will be patient and persistent but its getting annoying as I could be making one small mistake or missing one lttle trick and no one is coming back to tell me

Right signing off today... back tomorrow! Lets see what that may bring. Time to go to the gym and work off the frustration.
        comments added
        Last edited by MrHelpful; 9 March 2010, 17:37. Reason: format
        Never Never Never give up

Comment

You really just have to persevere. It's incredible how long it can take in times like these, but if you are good at what you do and are able to maintain your self-belief after each knock back then the work will come.

And when you do finally get a contract they'll be all over you, wondering where you were the last few months when they were desperately searching for the right person. And you'll probably get three offers on one day and a stream of other people calling you after you've accepted one of them.

It's just the way it works out.

It's maddening when you are stuck at home and can't think where to look next for work, but just keep on doing the following obvious things:
          • update your details on Monster once a week (triggers off automatic emails to the kind of agents who don't even advertise their roles)
          • send your CV on spec to previous agents going back as far as you want telling them you've just gone back on the market and wanted to give them first shout (gets surprisingly positive responses a lot of the time)
          • use different search filters on all the job boards (amazing what can turn up outside of your default searches)
          • cram as much bluffing material as you can on whatever's currently trendy in your line of work (any advantage is worth having and people really like someone who can casually chat about this week's hip thing)
          • be nice to agents when they phone you on spec with some really rubbish role with insultingly pathetic rates (they can often come back a few days later with something really good)

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            I always work on a 10% indicator
            applying for 20 roles should get you 2 call backs

I'd say an expected 100 applications before getting a contract would be a good rule of thumb
            Tommy rot.

Be selective about the roles you go for and tailor your CV.

Scatter gun approaches and multiple applications are for the lazy.

I'll answe this properly when I come back.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Actually on your reply to cojak, I think your comments are spot on.

I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Yes, you are right, quality is better than quantity. Cojak is a BA with a broad functional and business background, so for her she needs to get her CV out, in her case it will be a numbers game.

You have a good, strong consultancy background in a couple of industries. You have also only been applying for a month.

The approach I always recommend is

1) Catch contract as they come up on Jobsite, Monster and Jobserve that you feel you are extremely qualified for. Be quick and get your CV in. Tailor it to the spec and send an email and a note which states, rate, availability and suitability(quick and snappy). If you see a role which makes you think, MMMm, may be in with a chance or dont have all the criteria. Dont waste your time in this market(any other time fine, but not in this market)

2) Phone the agent with a pally tone within 30-60 minutes. 'Hi, Is Dave there? Yes's it's Marillionfan, I dropped him(you) a note)

If no answer, put on the side and ring back a few hours later. If again no answer ring nearer 4 or the next day. After 3 - I put a postit on the wall and leave it.

If I havent spoken to an agent and they dont get back, then to me it's not a real role. After 7 days, it's completely dead.

3) Positive, positive. When you speak, "Yes I can do it' "Yes I am available" etc. If the rate is miles off, thank them for their time and move on. If it's close, push a little harder. Always, always thank them for their time

Otherwise you seem to be OK. It is a tough market. I was surprised it took me two months. The most ever. I applied for about 20 roles in that time, spoke to 10 agents, got shortlisted 6 times and got 4 interviews and three offers but managed to cancel two offers out my playing them against each other!

Thats an all time worst record for me, but to be honest I only count that as 10 applications as I never heard a single word from the other 10 at all.

Good luck.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Its a numbers game. Simple as.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by MrHelpful View Post

To be cont'd...
                  I've applied for as many roles and got 5 interviews... and failed to land the gig on every one so I obviously don't live up to my CV.

Defcon 2 today, sold the car to pay the mortgage for the next few months, looking for a banger tomorrow.

Feel better now?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Defcon 2 today, sold the car to pay the mortgage for the next few months, looking for a banger tomorrow.
                    Holy tulipe jedi.

Chin up. The recession will end, eventually. Manly

Comment

Working...
                    X