• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Promoted within 1st month – Same rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promoted within 1st month – Same rate

I use to hold senior Project Manager positions for several years, but after being in the bench for the last 6 months I’ve decided to take up a filler job outside of my industry just to keep the lights on. As everybody in this situation, I didn’t negotiate at all the offered rate and took the first offer the agent propose me as a Project Manager. Less than a month into my job, my employer aware of my potential from the interview, gave me a Programme Manager’s job, where I’m in charge of several Project Managers. The problem is, in that group between me and first line charter who work for me, I’m the lowest paid contractor.
    Don’t know how to handle it: It does feel very uncomfortable for the fact that I get paid less then my Project Managers, but I do understand that probably raising this issue within the first month would be not a wise thing to do. My 3 months short term contract became now a 2 years perspective long term job. I’ve start liking the job, and probably would commit myself for longer than 3 months, as longer the pay is right.
    The dilemma is: Should I raise this issue with my agent now (too soon?), or wait until the renewal time (too late?). In the other end, it’s not the job description I’ve signed up for. I know the job descriptions can include almost everything; “... not limited to ...”, but these are clearly two different job weight categories.
    Anyone?

Speak to the agency and tell them what has happened. Tell them that you are prepared to walk unless your rate has increased in line with added responsibilities. Either that, or accept the rate and wait for the contract renewal and negotiate.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

i would be nervous talking to agent initially. it wouldnt be unheard of for them to gain a new rate and not pass a bean of it on. if anything i would speak to both parties to make sure the process goes smoothly and no one is going to screw anyone else!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FFS - you're a contractor, you don't get promoted.

So, either you get a new contract with a new rate commensurate with the new role that they are suggesting you take, or you stay as a project manager.

If you are stupid enough to take on the extra work without any thought to any additional compensation then more fool you - you are in business, so act like it.

Alternatively, WTF do you care that people working for you have a higher daily rate than you? I knew plenty of more junior consultants at Oracle that were on a par with my salary when I left - if it's a problem then walk.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Negotiate during your next extension. The client ought to see that they got you on the cheap and will want to keep you.

Not much you can do about it mid-contract in these straitened times, I'm afraid...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

More responsibility with no more pay is not a “promotion” it’s being taken for a ride (not that contractors get promoted anyway, but that’s whole different issue)

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Negotiate during your next extension. The client ought to see that they got you on the cheap and will want to keep you.

Not much you can do about it mid-contract in these straitened times, I'm afraid...
              I would agree with cojak on this, best to wait till renewal and then renegotiate.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                FFS - you're a contractor, you don't get promoted.

So, either you get a new contract with a new rate commensurate with the new role that they are suggesting you take, or you stay as a project manager.

If you are stupid enough to take on the extra work without any thought to any additional compensation then more fool you - you are in business, so act like it.

Alternatively, WTF do you care that people working for you have a higher daily rate than you? I knew plenty of more junior consultants at Oracle that were on a par with my salary when I left - if it's a problem then walk.
                WHS + 1.

Surely you asked for a higher rate for the new job when the client said they wanted you to do it?

bolted, horse, stabledoor?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Thanks ALL for the advices; I’ll give it a go and negotiate at the extension time. I think is the most sensible thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X