• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grim up North?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm originally from Scotland.

Whilst in London I seen a few irate Scots in my time angry at the way in which Londoners are rude on the London underground; pregnant women and really quite frail OAPs left standing up. It takes more than polite requests; lack of eye contact is avoided in these situations by the Londoners. They just listen, then it takes a wee threat - still with them looking at anything else - to get them to give the seat, without acknowledgement, to someone heavily pregnant. The woman when it was my turn (all Scots in London are on a rota system on the tube) the woman was clearly due to give birth in a couple of weeks!

I wouldn't work down in London again; the money offered in permanent positions is at the lowest it has been in quite some time. If you're only into clubbing, good music gig venues, and a more café based existence, then head on down.

Quality of life is much better up North, but I do find the central-belt in Scotland to be the best balance of a metro lifestyle with accessibility to the essential snowboarding, mountain-biking and more beautiful locations that means you can get up at 5am, and just decide to go somewhere for the weekend without a large amount of pre-planning.

Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester - all fanastic places too. When you begin to look at the way in which Scotland and Northern cities are financially supported extensively by the lower half of England though I can easily understand why people would think our current situation is unfair. But hey, life is unfair.

Earning £40k to £45k in somewhere like Glasgow is comparable to £65k and above in London in my experience. But every human has their own preference, and some people may just love London.

For me, finishing some verification then heading off for some local mountain climbing with friends appeals more to me. Life is for doing the things you enjoy, work is just one of those necessary evils. I take work seriously, but do not plan on being one of those stressed out Londoner managers aged 50, divorced, with a huge pension but unenjoyable - from my point of view - lifestyle.
    Last edited by larson; 25 February 2010, 13:02.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      For those who have been able to find work consistently in NW what is your main avenue? Jobserve? specific agency or contacts?

Where I am at now they are going to get rid of all contracts at the end of my 3 months and hire permies (even though the contractors have a lot of the business knowledge). So I need to start thinking about my next contract sometime soon.....

Any advice guys?

At the moment I am thinking:

1) Keep an eye out on the market
      2) Whenever an agency contacts you tell them when you will be available
      3) Start applying during my last month
      4) If after a couple of weeks of finishing I dont find anything then start looking outside of NW.
      NW is dead on its feet.

HTH.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
      X