• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grim up North?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    I moved up North from London for many of the reasons that you stated. I have not been able to secure a contract despite looking in the Midlands, Cheshire, Leeds, Lancashire etc. I am now going back to London for a role at an IB.

Still, it beats being on the bench. I really do hope that the outlook up North improves as I really can't bear thinking of moving back to London permanently.
    Same here, I'm only looking for something in the North but have been several months on the bench now.

I really don't want to go work down south as I'm enjoying my life up North too much.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
      Nearly all northern women.
      apart from my bird, who's well fit, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        Mine too

Nearly all available northern women.
        FTFM

Comment

Mine too

nice one, lol

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            Mind if I have a go???

Comment

Originally posted by NeverBeenNorthOfTheM25 View Post
              Mind if I have a go???
              yes I would mind

Comment

Market is just so much smaller in the NorthWest and this is also being squeezed and it is often the same names hiring (and clearing everyone out even quicker) you really need all things in your favour to keep working. By which I mean an exact skillset match, experience in that company (and someone who will vouch for you who is in there), flexibilty on rates and a good relationship with some key agents, these might get you an interview, better hope you are a whizz at interviews to land the gig.
                I am restricted to this location which has resulted in some lengthy gaps between contracts over the last 4 years. E.g 4 months (self inflicted, Sheffield stay over gig),5 months, 2 months. In addition, there seem to be fewer options to 'hire and forget' when 3 months turns into 6 years like a few years back, some are using 11 month/51 week rules, all are looking at any expenditure much closer.
                With that in mind I keep a healthy warchest ticking over (12-18 months) and spend only when the money is stashed. Despite the gaps I would estimate I am 75k better off than a fairly good comparative perm job over the 4 years and of course have had about a year off in that time (not always enjoyed this as much as I should though !).
                SE/London is a much larger pond, I reckon I would be working more consistently but even without the reasons I need to stay NW, I would not be keen !!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  The tube is full of impolite people. Men and children sitting while women stand.
                  What's wrong with that (as long as they aren't pregnant or disabled)?

Comment

For those who have been able to find work consistently in NW what is your main avenue? Jobserve? specific agency or contacts?

Where I am at now they are going to get rid of all contracts at the end of my 3 months and hire permies (even though the contractors have a lot of the business knowledge). So I need to start thinking about my next contract sometime soon.....

Any advice guys?

At the moment I am thinking:

1) Keep an eye out on the market
                    2) Whenever an agency contacts you tell them when you will be available
                    3) Start applying during my last month
                    4) If after a couple of weeks of finishing I dont find anything then start looking outside of NW.

Comment

I had a great time spending weekends away south of London (Surry, Sussex, Kent, Somerset, Cornwall... even sth Wales!).

My experiences visiting relatives etc who lived around the midlands weren't so great.

Quite frankly they should build a huge Berlin-type wall from the Watford gap to Wales and another one just below the lake district and anything in between could be like East Germany and the rest above and below could be like West Germany.

On second thoughts, might want to fence off Essex as well...

Comment

Working...
                      X