• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hays again, ID verification???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hays again, ID verification???

I've been offered an interview via Hays but they're insisting I call into one of their offices with some ID so they can verify I am a eligible to work in the UK.

I've never had to do this in 7 years of contracting but they are saying that it's now standard practise, whats all this about then? No other agency is asking me to do this.

Anyone else had to do this recently? I wouldn't mind but it would mean a tenner in petrol and a morning out.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I've been offered an interview via Hays but they're insisting I call into one of their offices with some ID so they can verify I am a eligible to work in the UK.

I've never had to do this in 7 years of contracting but they are saying that it's now standard practise, whats all this about then? No other agency is asking me to do this.

Anyone else had to do this recently? I wouldn't mind but it would mean a tenner in petrol and a morning out.
    I had to do this with Spring a while back. All they would parrot at me was 'standard practice' when I asked them why, "to prove you are who you say you are".
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      I had to do this with Spring a while back. All they would parrot at me was 'standard practice' when I asked them why, "to prove you are who you say you are".
      My last contract was with Spring, they never asked.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        How did you know it was really Spring?

Oh wait, they were a bunch of cants who made you do stupid things and couldn't explain why.

Comment

I've been asked to fax through my passport a few times before jobs commence. Always cut out a few details though ...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

FFS. We moan about tooo many offshore workers coming in taking the jobs and working here when they shouldn't be and the industry in decline and when someone puts in a check to help combat this we moan again.

The onus is now on the employers to prove the people are eligible to work in the UK so if my ass was on the line I would be asking for a copy of your passport bank statements and inner leg measurements etc...

Here is some reading..

Immigration stuff

As an employer, you have a
            responsibility to prevent illegal
            migrant working in the UK. Sections
            15–25 of the Immigration, Asylum
            and Nationality Act 2006 (the
            ‘2006 Act’) set out the law on the
            prevention of illegal migrant working.
            These provisions came into force on
            29 February 2008. They replace the
            previous offence under section 8 of
            the Asylum and Immigration Act
            1996 (the ‘1996 Act’).
            Sometimes I actually, just a tiny little bit, somewhere where the sun don't shine, feel sorry for agents having to deal with us
            Last edited by northernladuk; 18 February 2010, 15:25.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              FFS. We moan about tooo many offshore workers coming in taking the jobs and working here when they shouldn't be and the industry in decline and when someone puts in a check to help combat this we moan again.

The onus is now on the employers to prove the people are eligible to work in the UK so if my ass was on the line I would be asking for a copy of your passport bank statements and inner leg measurements etc...

Here is some reading..

Immigration stuff

Sometimes I actually, just a tiny little bit, somewhere where the sun don't shine, feel sorry for agents having to deal with us
              I've never been asked to go to an agents office before though. And why not simply make it so any UK national who wants to apply for an id card is able to get one instead of being told you must have a current passport first?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I've never been asked to go to an agents office before though. And why not simply make it so any UK national who wants to apply for an id card is able to get one instead of being told you must have a current passport first?
                Because the system is broken I guess. I have had to do this twice and just send them a third time. I would have expected any company serious about checking ID would do a check in person as well just to be sure. Guess it is down to how comfortable a company is covering their asses with post/faxed docs. Personally I see Hay's approach as being thorough.. pain in the ass yes but thorough.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For my latest contract (Hays were involved) they wanted not only a scanned copy of my passport photo page BUT also a scanned copy of the front cover!

Surely the outside of my passport is the same as anybody elses.

Also had to provide references going back 5 years, although they accepted the agents I'd worked through.

It wouldn't be so bad but I worked onsite at the same place only 5 months previously.

Comment

When will the agent realise they are not employers.

If you shop at Tesco and they get done for using an illegal it doesn't come back on you does it.

Comment

Working...
                    X