• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle an agent you suspect of pulling a fast one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    What the **** difference to your rate does it matter how near or far from your home the role is? I've never understood contractors who say 'its on my doorstep so I'll ask for £300 instead of the £400 I's ask for 80 mile away'?

I ask for the rate I want for the job whether its next door or 250 mile away.

Bottom line is stick to your guns.
    Because time is money and we factor in travel time as money, lets say hour and 30 min journey each way, that's 3 hours per day "working" without sitting at your desk

Get a 15 min each way journey and you are ahead by 2.5 hours per day, which is 2.5 hours day of your life that you get back.

Sure if you can get 15 min job for the higher rate then great, but for many taking a pay cut to secure it is worth it for the improvement to quality of life those 2.5 hours give

The paycheck is not the only factor for many people

Comment

I don't think he's pulling a fast one, purely because he hasn't got to that stage with the client yet. It sounds like he's being proactive and optimistic and trying to get some candidates lined up in an attempt to get a role that is just a possibility so far. Hence no idea of rate yet (incidentally I believe it's your job as supplier, not the customer's, to say what your rate is, or at least take the lead on rate and terms if the client hasn't decided yet).

Comment

Working...
      X