• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle an agent you suspect of pulling a fast one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle an agent you suspect of pulling a fast one?

On CUK, everyone's very bolshy about how they'd deal with agents saying things like "due to the long duration of this contract [1 year] and the economic climate, you'll understand the rate will have to be competitive", but in real life are you rude/assertive to agents you think are trying to grab a huge cut, or politely insistent? Do you call them on it i.e "well you say that, but I know some agents are using that line to increase their cut"? Or simply decide a rate you want and stick to it, ignoring any excuses?

For context there's a niche contract in Finland, and so far I haven't got even a ball-park rate out of him. Apparently the agent is talking to a consultancy who supply to the client, and they aren't giving him much information. That might be true, can't see why else he wouldn't tell me what industry the role is in. But he told me the rate is "very negotiable" (???) and spun the recession line on me, which seems a little of a contradiction.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

"I do not charge a fixed rate. My rate varies according to location, seniority, sector and the nature of the project. I need to know that much before I can quote a rate."

"If you cannot tell me, I cannot quote a rate."

"Well, with no information, it is £x per day." (where £x is my highest rate ever x 1.2 just to see what they say)

When they do give an answer I just give an honest and accurate: "For that kind of work, I would be looking for £y per day." where £y is the top end of the range for that kind of work, in that sector, in that location, for that level of seniority.

"But obviously, without seeing a job spec or speaking to the client, that is just a number and not a fixed quote."

That gives them something to work with without ruling you out.

Edit: After that it is gut feel, experience, confidence, negotiation skills and hope.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 16 January 2010, 09:41.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

So for argument's sake if you'd take £300/day but know the top-range is up to £550/day, you'd have no problem quoting £550 and eventually ending up at £300?

The issue here is I don't know a industry rate, it's not a technology even listed on sites like ITJobsWatch. I talked about one role last year using it in Holland and was trying to haggle around the £700/day mark, but the living/tax costs of working there meant we wrangled so long someone cheaper was found in Asia.

So realistically one company might pay £1000/day, another might pay £400/day depending how easily they can find someone. The agent claims he's had "lots of interest" but he emailed me back about 5min after I emailed him through JobServe... and he also said "rate is not a problem... it's highly negotiable" just before mentioning the recession. Confusing.
      Last edited by d000hg; 16 January 2010, 11:11.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        "I do not charge a fixed rate. My rate varies according to location, seniority, sector and the nature of the project. I need to know that much before I can quote a rate."

"If you cannot tell me, I cannot quote a rate."

"Well, with no information, it is £x per day." (where £x is my highest rate ever x 1.2 just to see what they say)

When they do give an answer I just give an honest and accurate: "For that kind of work, I would be looking for £y per day." where £y is the top end of the range for that kind of work, in that sector, in that location, for that level of seniority.

"But obviously, without seeing a job spec or speaking to the client, that is just a number and not a fixed quote."

That gives them something to work with without ruling you out.

Edit: After that it is gut feel, experience, confidence, negotiation skills and hope.
        has that helped you land a gig?
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I work in a niche market and I know of one agent who serves my kind, in fact when I talk with other contractors in my trade the agent will get the same reaction from us all when the name is mentioned in conversation -

The result for the agency? They don't make money. We avoid them like the plague and those they do get, well the same old saying rings true

"pay peanuts get a monkey'

They get a bad reputation for both client and contractor.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What the **** difference to your rate does it matter how near or far from your home the role is? I've never understood contractors who say 'its on my doorstep so I'll ask for £300 instead of the £400 I's ask for 80 mile away'?

I ask for the rate I want for the job whether its next door or 250 mile away.

Bottom line is stick to your guns.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I charge more if it costs me more in travel/accomodation. If I'm in the lucky position of having the choice of a local gig and one far away, I charge even more for the inconvenience - how much per day do I value sleeping in my bed with my wife?

Obviously some people may attribute a negative value to that last one "It's in Australia? I won't we able to travel home for 9 months? Sound's perfect!"

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                What the **** difference to your rate does it matter how near or far from your home the role is? I've never understood contractors who say 'its on my doorstep so I'll ask for £300 instead of the £400 I's ask for 80 mile away'?

WHS
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Have to disagree here. If I have to work away during the week and spend a large part of the evening on the phone whilst in rented accommodation/hotels whilst potentially propping up a bar because there is sod all else to do I'm going to want more money to cover the costs.

If it's something on my doorstep with no travel my costs reduce so I can pimp myself out at a lower rate, simple economics.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    has that helped you land a gig?
                    In the past, yes.

And it does get the rate negotiation started.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X