• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma

I have been offered a contract role for about 450 pounds by a recrutor and he has forwarded my CV to endclient but same contract is now offered at 600 by some other recruitor.

I got the offer thru one with rate 450. How should I ask agency to raise my rates?

What is the best thing to do? Should I ask for a raise now itself before I start or I join the gig and then after a month or I should ask?

Firstly I would apply a bit of common sense here. You have been offered 450... in your hand... agreed... contractable... You have seen another advert..finger in the wind....attractive rates to get contractors... not gauranteed...just a number plucked out of the air.

You getting me here? Just because it says 600 on the advert it means squat. It could say 6000 for what it means to you.

Personally I would wait, have the interview, get yourself in the 'wanted' position and then try and push for 50 quid a day more at max. If you start being stupid they will just pick the next guy who is willing to take that rate. Sorry to be blunt but I hardly think your going to be a world leader in your skillbase and head and shoulders above the next guy.

If you start pushing before you even got to interview what do YOU think will happen?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dk27 View Post
      I have been offered a contract role for about 450 pounds by a recrutor and he has forwarded my CV to endclient but same contract is now offered at 600 by some other recruitor.

I got the offer thru one with rate 450. How should I ask agency to raise my rates?

What is the best thing to do? Should I ask for a raise now itself before I start or I join the gig and then after a month or I should ask?
      Do you actually mean you have a sales lead rather than an offer?
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Only when you have been offered the role are you in a position to negotiate. Forget other jobs ads and rates for now, bag the role, get a sense of flexibility and negotiate accordingly. Best of luck.

Comment

I think thats what he means. Listen to Northernlad, the other advert is probably a load of balls, but might be worth asking for more if you get offered the role - test the waters...
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Ring the cheap agent, tell them that they are cheap scum and demand that they increase your rate.

That will get you the gig
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you haven't spoken to the client yet you probably weren't in a position to give them a binding or accurate quote anyway.

Comment

Hang on you can renegotiate your rate when you've had the interview. But unless you have an alternative then your negotiating position is weak. Often the client looks for a range of candidates weak and strong. Are you really strong? If so why weren't you already on £600 and demanding the same again? I see a case though for raising your rate, just by saying to the agency that although you'd like to accept the role you've been offered 500 plus elsewhere, and if he can match then you'll accept.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

These guys have got it right. The fact you might have the skills and are willing to accept £450 might be to your advantage.

Take the interview, get the role, and if you are happy to lose it, tell them you’ve been offered another role at £whatever but you like the sound of them yadda yadda, so if they can match it, you’ll sign up …

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                    Take the interview, get the role
                    I have been offered the role but I am not sure if I should negotiate in this climate as there are few roles and I have got this after 2 months of bench warming.

I think best bet here is to work for a month or so get the grip on things and then ask for a raise by that time new year will be come and I will have some more alternatives...

Comment

Working...
                    X