• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All

I was recommended this forum by an ex work colleague who used to be a IT contractor too. I’ve always wanted to be an IT contractor but have always worked for perm jobs in the past. I like the idea of being my own boss and not getting involved in red tape and office politics. But my main reason is that I want to develop my skill sets.

I’ve read a lot of things on this website and will read more when I get time. I maybe going for a job interview soon which is offering 3 months will a possibility of turning perm. I am going through reed (or pimp is that what you guys call them lol) and just wondered if a get offered the job is setting up a limited company best thing to do or if not can someone recommend a good umbrella company I don't want to use the one offered by Reed just as i don’t know anything about them.

Thanks in Advance
    Paul

Seems to me there's no harm in going through an umbrella if you're just trying out contracting and think you might go back to perm after a few months. If you do find that you really like contracting and want to carry on then start your own company when you're ready. It's surprisingly painless.
    Last edited by dang65; 21 October 2009, 08:47. Reason: add

Comment

I’ve read a lot of things on this website
      Looking at your post I seriously doubt the above statment is true at all. This might be based on the fact the first sticky post in the Accounts section which goes through Ltd V Umbrella.

You also ask at least 2 questions that have been done to death.

Use the search and read the forums (properly) and you will find everything you ever wanted and more.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

By the way, you don't go contracting to develop your skills. The idea is to sell the well-established skills you already have. Nobody is going to pay you to learn; quite the opposite, in fact.

HTH
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well, I've learned quite a lot while contracting. Not paid training, no, but mainly because almost every job involves something or other which I haven't had experience of previously and have had to learn quickly. Certainly a lot more variety than any permie job I ever had anyway. I think that's probably what the OP was thinking of, isn't it?

And being remote from office politics is the most blissful part of it all. And the permies here all just traipsed off miserably to yet another dull meeting about reorganisation or something. Yawn. Well happy to be out of that too.

Comment

Don't disagree: I've picked up a huge amount over the years by being in places I would never have thought I'd be*. But you didn't go contracting to learn, did you? I was just making sure the OP understands the nature of the beast...

* Actually that sounds all wrong. I meant working for orgasniations I didn't ever think I'd be working for"
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Totally agree with Mal and it's a very useful point for the OP. If he has the wrong idea of why and how he is going to enter what is a very quiet market at the moment he has to make sure he is ready and not chasing a dream or it is going to horribly wrong.

I probably read it the same as Mal and thought oh dear, this is just not right. Sometimes warning people off that are not ready is better than helping pull people in to something that just isn't going to work.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It depends on what you think you might want to do after the 3 months is up. If you might be interested in the perm option, go with an umbrella. If you'll want to carry on contracting elsewhere for years (or heaven forbid, ask for another 3 months contract to weigh the offer up), start up a limited.

Comment

Working...
                  X