• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible contract in Geneva - is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I'm working through a company called Tresag and I've had no problems with them.

Once you get over the inital expense of the place it's not too bad - a good rate is a must. When I first came out here I was on 656 chf a day and that didn't cut it.

Finding accomodation is difficult. My contracts have only been 3 month ones which don't cut it when it comes to renting. I stay just over the border in a shanty town just inside France.
    Hi Tony,

I was hoping you'd pop up as I've read a lot of your postings on my monumental trawl through the forums. It sounds as if you've had a hoot!

I've worked out that somewhere in the region of 1000 chf a day, or as near as dagnammit, would do. Agent says that the team manager is keen to ensure that whoever they get out there is comfortable with the rate as they don't want them to leave after a while because it's too expensive. The contract is for 12 months and possibly longer so that may help with getting accommodation.

How does staying over the border in your French shanty town affect your tax status and how are you finding the language side of things?

I have a passable French accent although my other half has most of the words - he says something and they look at me, baffled. I then say exactly the same thing and off they go. This then involves me turning to other half and saying "I got most of that but what was that bit about the inflatable whale?"

Still English isn't my first language and I know from working in Brussels that if you have a go at the language it tends to open doors.

Comment

On a 1000 chf a day you'll be fine. My initial rate was 656 when the agent somewhat stiffed me. I threatened to leave at the renewal time and they upped it to 850 a day. The management company know I stay in France but said that it shouldn't effect my tax status. However, as you are on a good rate and a long contract I think I'd stick with Geneva. Accomodation is hard to find and expensive. As you have a 12 month contract you should find things easier though. Your problem will be where to stay while you find somewhere. Hotels are expensive - a quick search on hotels.co.uk will show you that.

I get roughly 65% of my pay after tax. Today tour day rate equates to about 600 gbp a day. If you get about 65% also then that leaves you with about 400gbp a day to play with. If you have kids then it's worth stopping any child benefit in the UK and claiming it in Geneva as it's worth a lot more. A collegue of mine was on the same rate. His four young kids meant that his takehome was close to 70% of the total.

The language is fine - I don't speak French and not had any real issues. The people in the office all speak english - except when they are talking about you

Who are you going to be working for? This place use quite a few contractors.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Petal View Post
        And am aware of the need for health insurance if you intend on staying over 3 months as well as the fact that there are federal, cantonal and municipal taxes. To be honest, reading about all the tax scares the bejesus out of me.
        No need. Even added together it'll be less than what you'd pay in the UK.

I also understand that a certain percentage will be paid into a Compulsory Pension Scheme and I read somewhere (Blaster Bates - a fountain of Swiss knowlege perhaps?) that this is returned if you are contracting and leave the country after a length of time, although I could have misunderstood this somewhat.
        True, but unfortunately for EU citizens it has to go into an approved pension fund. Or as BB says - you keep it in CH.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The biggest risk healthwise is a longterm serious illness, and in any case unless you're a Swiss citizen you'd end up back in Blighty anyway.
        Not if you've got a C-permit. (And possibly not with an EU B-permit).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Apologies for disappearing - been celebrating a "Big" birthday along with several visits to A&E although none of it was linked!

It's all gone a bit quiet on the Geneva contract and it would have been for a large international "financial media" firm, if I can get away with writing that.

Agent has gone very quiet after the initial excitement which is occasionally the way. Still, thanks for everybody's help. I now have a fair idea of what's involved.

Comment

The problem with to days market

Apologies for disappearing - been celebrating a "Big" birthday along with several visits to A&E although none of it was linked!

It's all gone a bit quiet on the Geneva contract and it would have been for a large international "financial media" firm, if I can get away with writing that.

Agent has gone very quiet after the initial excitement which is occasionally the way. Still, thanks for everybody's help. I now have a fair idea of what's involved.

This is the problem at the moment. An agent puts you forward for a job
            in one country which means that you spend the whole day doing research
            on the off chance that you get the contract.

Comment

The agencies who deal with the international contracts seem to be really bad for this sort of behaviour.
              It's really bizarre though, no fishing for referernces, just a lot of time talking the job and you up then a very polite nothing back... or it'll be 3 months before anything is going to happen
              At least they pick the phone up though
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                The agencies who deal with the international contracts seem to be really bad for this sort of behaviour.
                It's really bizarre though, no fishing for referernces, just a lot of time talking the job and you up then a very polite nothing back... or it'll be 3 months before anything is going to happen
                At least they pick the phone up though
                Exactly! As you say, he phoned me back, we spent a while talking and he didn't think it would be a problem my having not worked for a year due to all sorts of things outside my control, and no fishing for references either.

Hey Ho....

Comment

Some words of warning, you need a work permit for the Geneva canton (county) to work there. The agency or client should arrange this for you BUT when I was there all the contractors were registered for the agencies office in another canton - hence the letter from the police saying turn up tomorrow with your passport - it happened to be the last day of my contract so I left the country.

Also there was a pension, but it was reclaimed after the contract ended.

And renting a flat is very hard, they basically have an open house and the first person to get there takes it, and they expect you to rent for a long time and renewals are automatic. Might be easier to share a flat with someone who already lives there.

Oh, don't cross at the lights without a green man, it is illegal.

Otherwise it's a lovely place and I enjoyed it!

Comment

Working...
                  X