• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice please! Two agents wishing to represent dilemma.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please! Two agents wishing to represent dilemma.

Hi

I wondered if anyone could offer any advice in this situation please.

Yesterday I applied for a role online and was sent a reply email saying 'thanks for applying etc, please fill in this form with day rate expectation, attach CV and current strengths in each skill set, then I'll pass it over to my colleague who is dealing with it for review and will get back to you'. So did that and fired it off yesterday afternoon - not heard anything yet.

Today I apply for a similar sounding role - turns out it is the exact same role with exactly the same client -agent tells me the day rate and wishes to represent me and has sent me an email to reply to giving him exclusivity.

Now Agent 'A' has not mentioned a day rate yet and I don't know for sure if he has put me forward whereas with Agent B, I know the score.

I don't know whether to call Agent A and ask what the score is and make him aware that Agent B is wanting to represent me (and find out the rate).

What to do for the best as I don't want to have them both put me forward then have them bicker etc who found me and lose the contract. On the other hand, I dont wish to let go of one of them who's wishing to put me forward when I don't know for sure if the other one is putting me forward.

What would you do? Thanks.

Call Agent A and ask.

However, be prepared for the fact that Agent A might say they have put you forward when they haven't, as might Agent B, in order to present someone they can make more money off.

It is a matter of speaking to each agent and trying to get a read for the situation and plumping for the one you trust the most. Personally I would not want my CV to go twice as I have heard bad stories of people binning duplicate CV's as they don't want to get tied up in Agency arguments.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

You haven't heard back from A, so assume they've decided not to put you forward.
      Be open and honest with B. Tell him to go ahead but you're not sure you can do exclusivity because you've already tried to go via A (but A didn't put you forward).

Comment

Did they mention the clients name

Originally posted by LadyChatterley View Post
        Hi

I wondered if anyone could offer any advice in this situation please.

Yesterday I applied for a role online and was sent a reply email saying 'thanks for applying etc, please fill in this form with day rate expectation, attach CV and current strengths in each skill set, then I'll pass it over to my colleague who is dealing with it for review and will get back to you'. So did that and fired it off yesterday afternoon - not heard anything yet.

What would you do? Thanks.
        Did he actually reveal the name of the client?
        What you should have told the second agency is that the role sounds like
        one that you applied for yesterday but have not had any feedback.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes - both Agents mentioned the name of the end client.

However, be prepared for the fact that Agent A might say they have put you forward when they haven't, as might Agent B, in order to present someone they can make more money off. (blackjac - this is what worries me).

I'm thinking of doing what Thunderbird said and sending a reply via email to Agent B stating (Tell him to go ahead but you're not sure you can do exclusivity because you've already tried to go via A (but A didn't put you forward). But is this likely to make him back off if he cannot get exclusivity? Decisions, decisions.

If I ring Agent A for an update and mention this to him, then he could do one of two things, put me forward pronto, or do me over saying he's gonna put me forward then doesn't bother. I work with SAP and I think they'll definately be looking at rates/costs.

Comment

Early on in my contracting career I got stuck in a position where I was being put forward for the same role by 3 different agencies. Although non mentioned the client it was pretty obvious it was the same. In my naivety I though sod em, apply with all 3 and may the best man win. Not all of them will put my CV forward so was edging my bets.

Anyway, ALL of them put me forward and all hell broke loose. The one that got in first say ah well, shouldn't have done it but your in with us so sod em, the other two were less than happy and had some calls from very unhappy agents. Played the dumb card saying didn't know it was same job and at that point they got abusive and personal I politely mentioned I would be contacting their managers about their behavoiur which shut them up and didn't hear from them again.

Got the role, did the job and finished without a problem. Dunno if I got away lucky here or as long as client and one of agencies gets the right man who really cares in the long run.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ask agent B to directly ask the client if they already have your CV. If not, then go ahead with B and then send an email to agent A saying to them that you do not want them to represent you after due consideration. If agent B will do this check they unlikely to lie to you, I believe. If they had no intention of putting you forward then they wouldn't check.

But.......then again they could lie about checking even when they haven't.

Decisions, decisions......
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                Personally I would not want my CV to go twice as I have heard bad stories of people binning duplicate CV's as they don't want to get tied up in Agency arguments.
                I'm sure you are right but I wonder why these clients offer the same contract to several agencies in the first place rather than having a preferred supplier? If they don't like being dependent on one agency they could distribute the contracts (individually) between multiple agencies so they can get a feel for who is best, without giving the same position to more than one agency.
                Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

All agents = lying, cheating, scum-sucking bastards.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
                    I'm sure you are right but I wonder why these clients offer the same contract to several agencies in the first place rather than having a preferred supplier? If they don't like being dependent on one agency they could distribute the contracts (individually) between multiple agencies so they can get a feel for who is best, without giving the same position to more than one agency.
                    Agencies have a nasty habit of finding out and taking it upon themselves to act.

E.g.:
                    Client asks Agency A to get them a contractor.
                    Agency A advertises role
                    Agency B sees advert, does some research to find out who client is
                    Agency B contacts client to say "You know that role you are advertising through Agency A, well I have the perfect candidate for it...."

Seen it happen a few times....
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X