• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting into Investment Banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of hours do you work?

Comment

Originally posted by BradNeedsYourHelp
      What kind of hours do you work?
      7.45 to 17:30, 15 mins to grab a sarnie around lunchtime.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
        7.45 to 17:30, 15 mins to grab a sarnie around lunchtime.
        Are you doing more than your contracted hours? Or do you get paid hourly?

My contracted hours are 35 and that's all I do, unless of course there is an emergency or something.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
          Are you doing more than your contracted hours? Or do you get paid hourly?

My contracted hours are 35 and that's all I do, unless of course there is an emergency or something.
          I get paid for a professional day and work quite hard. I also get paid quite well.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Just finished a senior BA (tech) with an investment arm of a commercial bank in OZ, Back/Middle Global Money markets, Datawarehouse deployment, Product pricing and FTP's, moved on to Funds Management and Wealth Management - No brainer compared to the work I did years ago in Credit/Issuer/Market Risk in London, rate about 650-700 auz a day, which is fairly poor compared to the square mile which was pegged at around 450-550 GBP back in '98

Can only comment on personal experience for UBS, and they were excellent to work for, but you have to know your stuff, and *be* creative with problem solving, and be a team player like you mean it (i.e look out for the junior permies and contractors) hours were fairly good, 0830 to 1800(ish) is what I did at UBS , compared to here in OZ where an IB 1/50th the size of most European players want to pay you a pittance and own you, guess that what the market dictates here..........

Heard deutsche and gs were complete "tossers" to work for as contractors, but I guess it depends on your immediate line manager. Maybe things have changed

Comment

I went the permie route - opportunity came up and no previous experience was required. Several interviews and technical tests, last one lasted 3 hours.

It's mostly Asset / Fund Management with a few hooks into other areas, and it's been quite interesting to find out how broad the industry is, and the different investment vehicles that are available. I have worked at banks on contract but normally for compliance projects rather than having in-depth knowledge of how they operate.

.Net 2, and I work 8am - 4.30-pm with an hour for lunch, one meeting a week plus one per iteration (agile development), casual clothes, the boss is away for the next 10 days on some exotic island, and we are allowed to play Counterstrike etc during working hours. As long as we meet deadlines we are fine - if we don't, we get chewed out... only downside is that virtually everyone is a Senior Developer so we all have strong opinions on architecture and little cliques have formed who favour one approach over another.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
              X