• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fustration in investment banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Just send a photo in future.
    Are you suggesting that the OP is ugly?

<sorry>

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      Your "face" probably didn't "fit" the interviewer's team - that's all.

Sadly that's nothing to do with your skills, which is quite ironic really.
      well...it's not ironic is it....who do you think you are Alanis Morrisette?

Comment

Honestly if I was put under 7 hours of interviews I would bill them for it.

But then again would never submit to 7 hours of interviews in the first place. If they cannot make their minds up in an hour or so I most certainly do not want to work there as it would clearly show they were to a large degree:
        • Incompetent
        • Always busy covering their ass's
        • Did not have enough real work to do
        • Utterly crap staff and management

Like really, adding up all those people time that's at least two days lost productivity (generally at least 2 people at all times) per contractor, multiple that by 3 (generally minimum how many they are interviewing), so total of week's worth of lost man hours just to fill one contractor role!?! (this does not include time spent reviewing CV's and other task's which were probably just as drawn out)

Talk about a place well overdue a working practices audit

As to why you did not get the gig, you said it yourself, you corrected aka showed up one of the interviewers.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
          Honestly if I was put under 7 hours of interviews I would bill them for it.

But then again would never submit to 7 hours of interviews in the first place. If they cannot make their minds up in an hour or so I most certainly do not want to work there as it would clearly show they were to a large degree:
          • Incompetent
          • Always busy covering their ass's
          • Did not have enough real work to do
          • Utterly crap staff and management

Like really, adding up all those people time that's at least two days lost productivity (generally at least 2 people at all times) per contractor, multiple that by 3 (generally minimum how many they are interviewing), so total of week's worth of lost man hours just to fill one contractor role!?! (this does not include time spent reviewing CV's and other task's which were probably just as drawn out)

Talk about a place well overdue a working practices audit

As to why you did not get the gig, you said it yourself, you corrected aka showed up one of the interviewers.
          What they said ^

I was reading this thread thinking "what numpty would agree to 7 hours of interviews". Even if I had been out of contract for a while, I`d say no to that.

Comment

In a highly competitive environment where supply outstrips demand, interview decisions are determined by the interests of the hiring manager. These interests may not only be about recruitment, they might include information gathering, free consultancy, or just someone to talk to about technical issues where there is no downside for the interviewer. Many IT/quant bankers like interviewing: it gives them a sense of superiority and it's more interesting than talking to traders. So that's why the interview are so long, and the recruitment decisions not clearly any better than any other industry.

Comment

There is nothing that would make me want to do a contract in the City ever again (not that they would have me back). From what I see from report by other members of the CUK congregation, the stress levels for contractors in the financial sector are enormous, even worse since my day. I would be dead within a week as I could not take that now.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

You were probably interviewed by a jealous permie who didnt know he was interviewing a contractor.
                He was probably brought in by his manager to do the technical stuff and found out a little too much about you. His jealousy then turned into the feeling that you really didnt know about B-trees, mutithreading, java beans or whatever the latest buzzword is.

Happened to me once. Interview went really well and job was almost in the bag until I let slip the "C" word.
                Last edited by SantaClaus; 29 August 2009, 23:19.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

IB is full of ego maniacs (as I'm sure that you're aware).

In the light of your having to take a day away from your work to attend their premises, I'd bill the ****ers.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    You were probably interviewed by a jealous permie who did know he was interviewing a contractor.
                    There you go. Fixed that for you.

Contractor, eh? Well you aren't getting in here and making me look like the "winker" I am, no way. And so the interview silliness begins...

Been there, seen that, bought the teeshirt (too many times, unfortunately.) Permies, don't ya just love 'em.

Nomadd
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

The attitude in the market by employers today is appalling.

F' em all. As they reject more and more candidates, the price just seems to go higher until they find that "special" candidate for the job.

Comment

Working...
                      X