• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fustration in investment banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fustration in investment banking

Been looking for a contract for around 8 weeks in Investment Banking.

I have around 12 years experience in investment banking. I do databases and C#/java development.

Interviewed for 7 hours for a role (3.5 hours 2 interviews/7 people) and now they say they don't think I am up to the mark.

This is inspite of the fact that the person interviewing me got some of his facts wrong on log shipping, which I politely pointed out.

I was able to demonstrate knowledge to page level, btrees etc.

What does it take for these people to offer you a job!!! I should bill the buggers for my time.

Anyone else finding it tough at the moment.

Previous role I was rejected, because I couldn't remember all of the RAID configurations for a development role. Is it about the ego of the person interviewing you or are they looking to employ you.

Originally posted by smithsi View Post
    Interviewed for 7 hours for a role (3.5 hours 2 interviews/7 people) and now they say they don't think I am up to the mark.

I should bill the buggers for my time.
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, it must have cost them a considerable amount of time/resources/logistics to take that long to come to a decision for a contract role.

With that kind of nonsense going on, they probably won't be in business for much longer anyway.

Comment

It's a big world out there... time to look outside IB in my opinion. You have to be a bit more flexible if you want to get back into a contract.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Is it about the ego of the person interviewing you or are they looking to employ you.
        Most of the time, yes.

I've been through it too. Totally irrelevant questions or something extremely bizarre that probably caught them out the week before.

Just think yourself lucky not to get the job; otherwise you would be getting merde like that all day.

The biggest problem is that they report back to the agent that you are 'rubbish' and who then drop you from the list of potential candidate for other roles.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Previous role I was rejected, because I couldn't remember all of the RAID configurations for a development role. Is it about the ego of the person interviewing you or are they looking to employ you ?
          Often it comes down to the ego of the interviewer. You can't win every interview, even if you are brilliant in every way. A good contractor knows this and moves on to the next interview (which admittedly is hard these days).

I would also be suspicious about two technical interviews. This means the second lot didn't trust the first lot to interview you properly, which is probably a sign that the place is ****ed up.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

I have around 12 years experience in investment banking. I do databases and C#/java development.

This is inspite of the fact that the person interviewing me got some of his facts wrong on log shipping, which I politely pointed out.

What does it take for these people to offer you a job!!! I should bill the buggers for my time.

Previous role I was rejected, because I couldn't remember all of the RAID configurations for a development role. Is it about the ego of the person interviewing you or are they looking to employ you.
            Been through this several times with IBs over the last 10 years or more. One thing I've learnt is that they don't like you questioning anything they have done - especially when you are pointing out how they could have achieved the same thing in less time at less cost. Ditto, never question their misunderstanding of technical matters, you are just wasting your breath. And that's when I've been attending interviews as a Technical Architect, with a remit of helping them improve things!

Put it down to experience and simply move on. It's happened to you before, and it'll happen to you again. Don't take it personally. It's their loss, not yours.

Nomadd
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Totally understand your frustrations. I've been out for nearly twice as long as you, never previously had a problem finding IB roles. IMHO they are being a lot more picky just because they can be, they are being inundated with hundreds of CV's for every role and often the majority have a long history of IB experience( I have 12 years).

Recently I had a third interview for a contract role with a large IB in the City, in previous years it would all be wrapped up in a 1 hour interview. I didn't get it despite being told by the agent that I was the only person still in the running, figure that one out !

At least if they interviewed you for that length of time they must have had you on a short list of 2 or 3 and will bear you in mind for future roles.

Comment

Never ceases to amaze me why people submit to such inane interview length and technique.

I'd never agree to such practices and if they cant make a decision based on a maximum 1 hour interview, then they can **** off as far as Im concerned as it shows indecision on their part plus is a sign of the ethos within a company ie overkill.

The fact that you corrected one of the interviewers, even thouh they were wrong has clearly counted against you. Interview drones simply dont like being corrected because it shows up their lack of knowledge to the other interviwers, the person they are interviewing and also word gets out within the company.

Personally, I think you must take part of the blame yourself by submitting to such a long arduous selection procedure. You should have made it clear you wouldnt countenance such bulltulip.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Your "face" probably didn't "fit" the interviewer's team - that's all.

Sadly that's nothing to do with your skills, which is quite ironic really.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    Your "face" probably didn't "fit" the interviewer's team - that's all.
                    Just send a photo in future.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X