• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HR Interview (contractor role)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HR Interview (contractor role)

Hi,

Went for an interview at a bank yesterday, excellent interview, really hit it off with the Global Head of XYZ. Very informal interview which lasted 2 hours!

The chap was very honest and said that he liked me and wanted to proceed to an HR interview. Note that this is a contract role.

At the end of the interview with Global Head, he warned me to be careful how I approach the fact that I have not been renewed and why I had an issue with the guy in my old team.

Been in my current contract at another bank for a number of years, however I have not been renewed and to be honest I did not wish to renew.

I did have a bit of an issue with a team member about 6 months ago and moved team. Still work with this individual indirectly. I want to note that I did try and sort out issues on a number of occassions. However my feeling was he felt treatened by me. Being honest he was out of his dept in his role.

Question, should I be totally honest about all that has gone on ?

Cheers in advance.

Originally posted by citychap26 View Post
    Hi,

I did have a bit of an issue with a team member about 6 months ago and moved team.
    Personally I wouldn't mention this, especially to an HR bod.
    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
      +1

HR people are uneducated buffoons: that's why they are in HR. Never, ever tell them anything negative. Just lie. Tell them exactly what they want to hear. Keep everything jolly. Remember, HR people are unskilled corporate puppets.

Treat it like a permie interview, for a job you intend to do for the next 30 years until retirement. They'll like that. It's always worked for me.

Nomadd
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I second that. I`m very much a "honest is the best policy" person, but when dealing with HR teams, be careful. Been there and done that, and learned the hard way when HR turned my honesty into something it wasn`t - focused on the negatives rather than the positives. Everyone else thought "yes", HR said "no". Try to give them what you think they want to hear, otherwise they`ll stick their sticks in to big themselves up.

Comment

he warned me to be careful how I approach the fact that I have not been renewed.

Been in my current contract at another bank for a number of years, however I have not been renewed and to be honest I did not wish to renew.
          Don't see anything to worry about. You were there several years so it's not like they were in a hurry to get rid of you after the first 6 months. Can't you just say the project you were contracted to work on were complete, or some fluffy-HR guff about 'wanting a change' or 'not wanting to become set in your ways'?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hi,

Went for an interview at a bank yesterday, excellent interview, really hit it off with the Global Head of XYZ. Very informal interview which lasted 2 hours!

The chap was very honest and said that he liked me and wanted to proceed to an HR interview. Note that this is a contract role.

At the end of the interview with Global Head, he warned me to be careful how I approach the fact that I have not been renewed and why I had an issue with the guy in my old team.

I did have a bit of an issue with a team member about 6 months ago and moved team. Still work with this individual indirectly. I want to note that I did try and sort out issues on a number of occassions. However my feeling was he felt treatened by me. Being honest he was out of his dept in his role.

Question, should I be totally honest about all that has gone on ?

Cheers in advance.
            ****'s sake, how thick are some people? You told them you had 'issues' with someone at your last client and left them thinking potentially you could have issues again with someone in their organisation?

Dear oh dear.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              ****'s sake, how thick are some people? You told them you had 'issues' with someone at your last client and left them thinking potentially you could have issues again with someone in their organisation?

Dear oh dear.
              +1

Seriously.

Comment

WHS.

HR people are, in my humble opinion, ***** who tend to create trouble where none exists in the interests of "avoiding risk".

The measure of a business is not that it avoids risk, it is that it regards, mitigates and controls risk.

*****, the lot of 'em.

Comment

Honesty is rarely the best policy in any walk of life, but it is especially true when it comes to sex and money. In both cases, tell them what they want to hear. In the case of sex, play up the risky side as this is excitement. However, when it comes to money e.g. getting a gig, eliminate risk.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    Honesty is rarely the best policy in any walk of life, but it is especially true when it comes to sex and money. In both cases, tell them what they want to hear. In the case of sex, play up the risky side as this is excitement. However, when it comes to money e.g. getting a gig, eliminate risk.
                    My bold.

Having been screwed over by this in the past, I'd strongly recommend against this course of action.

Comment

Working...
                    X