• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HR Interview (contractor role)"

Collapse

• Slumdog
    replied
    HR - Human Remains
    (wannabes having to recruit for someone else and pretend like it's their company)

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    You speak to HR people in management speak.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    a) You were so good in your last role they renewed your contract X times.

b) You were in your last role for a some time before your contract was not renewed.

Both statements are completely true. Saying one will get you the gig, but saying the other won't. Hmmm, which one to say...?!

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by citychap26 View Post
    Hi,

Went for an interview at a bank yesterday, excellent interview, really hit it off with the Global Head of XYZ. Very informal interview which lasted 2 hours!

The chap was very honest and said that he liked me and wanted to proceed to an HR interview. Note that this is a contract role.

At the end of the interview with Global Head, he warned me to be careful how I approach the fact that I have not been renewed and why I had an issue with the guy in my old team.

Been in my current contract at another bank for a number of years, however I have not been renewed and to be honest I did not wish to renew.

I did have a bit of an issue with a team member about 6 months ago and moved team. Still work with this individual indirectly. I want to note that I did try and sort out issues on a number of occassions. However my feeling was he felt treatened by me. Being honest he was out of his dept in his role.

Question, should I be totally honest about all that has gone on ?

Cheers in advance.
    Tips

- NEVER mention you werent going to get renewed. Say you had been there a while and wanted something new now as your learning curve was somewhat limited or the work was simply BAU aligned

- NEVER EVER EVER EVVVVVVEEER say you didnt get on with people. You are very lucky the Head of XYZ wants to progress - you must have come across as a decent guy. But in future never mention conflicts with people; HR will have a field day with this and see it as a show stopper

All I am saying is what BB said - just with less aggression

Leave a comment:

• citychap26
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    I second that. I`m very much a "honest is the best policy" person, but when dealing with HR teams, be careful. Been there and done that, and learned the hard way when HR turned my honesty into something it wasn`t - focused on the negatives rather than the positives. Everyone else thought "yes", HR said "no". Try to give them what you think they want to hear, otherwise they`ll stick their sticks in to big themselves up.
    This happened to me 10 years ago with Enron. Was interviewed by Head of division and a couple of traders. They said yes, 2nd interview was with quants guys, Head of dive even popped by to wish me luck, 3rd interview was with HR woman (girl). She asked me the same question I'd been asked previously and I snapped saying "Look, this is the third time I've had to answer this question. Why didn't you just have everyone interview me at the same time!?".

Of course I didn't get the job.

Leave a comment:

• citychap26
    replied
    Hi All,

I was think that I should be economical with the truth in this case.

HR people are pretty rubbish, will just lay on the charm.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by George Parr View Post
    Was she an agent?
    No, scarily enough.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Listened to expressions such as "I love you anyway, no matter what" when this was, in fact, a complete lie told to me to keep me:

(a) happy
    (b) deluded
    (c) paying for - well, everything really

I became like a Pavlovian dog whereas instead of generating amylase I was generating GBP, EUR and USD.

My bad.
    Was she an agent?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Why, what did you say to her? Something like "I wish you all the best in your pregnancy", only to find out she was just fat?

Nomadd
    Listened to expressions such as "I love you anyway, no matter what" when this was, in fact, a complete lie told to me to keep me:

(a) happy
    (b) deluded
    (c) paying for - well, everything really

I became like a Pavlovian dog whereas instead of generating amylase I was generating GBP, EUR and USD.

My bad.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    My bold.

Having been screwed over by this in the past, I'd strongly recommend against this course of action.
    Why, what did you say to her? Something like "I wish you all the best in your pregnancy", only to find out she was just fat?

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Honesty is rarely the best policy in any walk of life, but it is especially true when it comes to sex and money. In both cases, tell them what they want to hear. In the case of sex, play up the risky side as this is excitement. However, when it comes to money e.g. getting a gig, eliminate risk.
    My bold.

Having been screwed over by this in the past, I'd strongly recommend against this course of action.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Honesty is rarely the best policy in any walk of life, but it is especially true when it comes to sex and money. In both cases, tell them what they want to hear. In the case of sex, play up the risky side as this is excitement. However, when it comes to money e.g. getting a gig, eliminate risk.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by George Parr View Post
    Personally I wouldn't mention this, especially to an HR bod.
    WHS.

HR people are, in my humble opinion, ***** who tend to create trouble where none exists in the interests of "avoiding risk".

The measure of a business is not that it avoids risk, it is that it regards, mitigates and controls risk.

*****, the lot of 'em.

Leave a comment:

• RedTag
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    ****'s sake, how thick are some people? You told them you had 'issues' with someone at your last client and left them thinking potentially you could have issues again with someone in their organisation?

Dear oh dear.
    +1

Seriously.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by citychap26 View Post
    Hi,

Went for an interview at a bank yesterday, excellent interview, really hit it off with the Global Head of XYZ. Very informal interview which lasted 2 hours!

The chap was very honest and said that he liked me and wanted to proceed to an HR interview. Note that this is a contract role.

At the end of the interview with Global Head, he warned me to be careful how I approach the fact that I have not been renewed and why I had an issue with the guy in my old team.

Been in my current contract at another bank for a number of years, however I have not been renewed and to be honest I did not wish to renew.

I did have a bit of an issue with a team member about 6 months ago and moved team. Still work with this individual indirectly. I want to note that I did try and sort out issues on a number of occassions. However my feeling was he felt treatened by me. Being honest he was out of his dept in his role.

Question, should I be totally honest about all that has gone on ?

Cheers in advance.
    ****'s sake, how thick are some people? You told them you had 'issues' with someone at your last client and left them thinking potentially you could have issues again with someone in their organisation?

Dear oh dear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X