• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn is it worth the time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put in at least 300 hours into LinkedIn. I answered shedloads of questions. Eventually I realised I was teaching other dickheads how to do my job, in my time, for free. But I really persevered with it. All I have had out of it is the occasional agent wanting to join my network and requests for help from overseas incompetent idiots that never even bother to say "Thank you".

In the Q&A I got 17 Best Answers, more in Project Management than anywhere else. I've just been to check how many answers I've done in total and it only tells you about the 30 most recent, so it seems there is no record of my contribution.

For jobseeking, it is utterly useless as I'm not in Merkinland.

The Event notices is desperately slow and they are all irrelevant. A Personnel Seminar in London. Great. A PRINCE2 conference in New Zealand. How convenient.

The Groups is a complete shambles.

The messaging is clunky and I cannot see how to stop the spammers.

I have promoted LinkedIn membership to quote a few people and got them to join. I just hope one of them has had something out of it.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

RC, I agree. I could have written that post.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        I'm appalled. Yes: stinky linky. WTF were they thinking of using that photo?
        I won't be buying any of those, maybe a ContractorUK T shirt though.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          I won't be buying any of those, maybe a ContractorUK T shirt though.
          string vest, Shirley?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Linkedin Good and Bad

I receive quite a few emails for jobs even before they appear on Jobserve and
            I have have even received one or two offers direct from clients who have held
            on to my CV that they must have received from agencies.
            The downside is that groups are flooded with Indians. I would not join a Russian group as I don't speak Russian so why do they join French or Dutch
            groups

Comment

Eventually I realised I was teaching other dickheads how to do my job, in my time, for free.
              So we had RichardCranium teaching dickheads how to be become a better dickhead
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I put in at least 300 hours into LinkedIn. I answered shedloads of questions. Eventually I realised I was teaching other dickheads how to do my job, in my time, for free. But I really persevered with it. All I have had out of it is the occasional agent wanting to join my network and requests for help from overseas incompetent idiots that never even bother to say "Thank you".
                Think that answers the original question fairly well.

Comment

I feel really positive about LinkedIn and what I've got out of it.

But then again I've never spent a single minute answering the questions posed by others so perhaps that's the key to feeling positive about the effort/reward ratio

Comment

I recommend it as another string to your bow. You can track down previous managers, see where they are working now and drop them a line to see if there is anything coming up. I don't recommend you list your current location as you'll get people fishing in your waters.

Comment

Working...
                    X