• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn is it worth the time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I just started getting stupid questions from (seemingly) asian guys wanting me to tell them how to do stuff in their jobs for free..
    Do that on the MSDN forums and they'll eventually give you an MVP
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

'bang for buck' well the basic version of linkedin is free so from that point of view what do you have to lose.

Regarding linkedin being swarmed by agents, I think it depends how you present yourself. If you are a developer with skills with x, z and z then of course agencies looking for those skills will bug you. If you are a consultant selling your services to businesses to help solve their business problems in a particular field then you are marketing your business to your contacts.

Try to connect with people who you know or have met or even dealt with over the phone if they are business side or maybe the CIO or an IT director - then it may prove to be of some benefit.

If you are going to answer questions on linkedin do not answer the technical ones - you will only get plagued by Indians and agents. Answer business or management questions if you can and enhance your standing within your target market and other service companies and your competitors.

If you are going to join any of the groups then try to join the business related ones, e.g. if you are in banking then focus on the banking groups.

For me I have had some success on linkedin having got my first contract by connecting with someone I used to work with, also I have found it a useful way to build up a network, get some questions answered, stay in touch with people any one of whom I can lean on in the future if I have to.

As I said at the start, it was free so nothing to lose!

Good Luck!
      Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 17 August 2009, 15:41.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I can see from your response why it works for you

I will post back with any successes, maybe it will be of use to folk
        Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
          I can see from your response why it works for you

I will post back with any successes, maybe it will be of use to folk
          Search for the group contractoruk and join some of us there. I was starting to get a few leads a couple of months ago but landed a contract before I started following any of them up.

Good luck
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
            Search for the group contractoruk and join some of us there. I was starting to get a few leads a couple of months ago but landed a contract before I started following any of them up.

Good luck
            Been there done that
            Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

I've been on there for a year now and it's done nothing for me from a business perspective.

It has allowed me to catch up with a couple of old colleagues I'd lost touch with.

Never been tempted by the "paid for" version though, maybe that's better?
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

LinkedIn is it worth the time

Short answer: Yes, if you do it properly and watch those privacy settings.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
                  Been there done that
                  are they selling T shirts yet?
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    are they selling T shirts yet?
                    I'm appalled. Yes: stinky linky. WTF were they thinking of using that photo?
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Linked In

My personal experience of Linked In is that like another network and orum you have to invest time in it.

But there are plenty of agencies there looking for poeople it seems to me, so the better profile you have and the easier you make it for people to contact you, the more you will be found in searches there.

But you will also be found quicker taking part in forums and as a member of the right contractor groups.

But its free, so maybe has a good potential ROI ?

Phil

Comment

Working...
                      X