• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment Banking Contracts [Networking]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    w -alpha - nkers, the lot of 'em.
    more like omega than alpha in my book. they get so little done by behaving like that. most of them remind me of wasps....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      more like omega than alpha in my book. they get so little done by behaving like that. most of them remind me of wasps....
      Yup.

As an ex-IB quant, I found myself getting into it a little, wanting to nip down to the trading floor and start stabbing people when they were either using the model wrong or ignoring model outputs.

Grrrr.

I'm ALL BETTER NOW, though

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        Yup.

As an ex-IB quant, I found myself getting into it a little, wanting to nip down to the trading floor and start stabbing people when they were either using the model wrong or ignoring model outputs.

Grrrr.

I'm ALL BETTER NOW, though
        Because you stabbed them and got it out of your system?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Because you stabbed them and got it out of your system?
          Got out and did my sitting on a beach with no IB-ers around thinking "I've made a reasonable amount of wedge I can do whatever the fu<k I what", so started my own company.

I now deliver models for them, and if they don't like the model, fu<k 'em, plus I get to do loads of groovy research that I want to do.

Comment

funny thing is that in German & Swiss banks the people there wouldn't say boo to a goose. A PM once apologised for keeping me beyond 5:30 pm. Quite right too, the swimming pool closes at 6:30.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

People in IBs have the opinion that they are on a par with Apollo mission astronauts, esp the ones that have came up through the graduate training system. If you ask what the difference is then that is you bombed out, it's best to play along with the game and pretend that you are in the presence of earthly gods.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                People in IBs have the opinion that they are on a par with Apollo mission astronauts, esp the ones that have came up through the graduate training system. If you ask what the difference is then that is you bombed out, it's best to play along with the game and pretend that you are in the presence of earthly gods.
                I must admit I toy with the idea of coming back to blighty and get a job there but I don't think I could take it, I really don't.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

The only real difference I can really see is the length of time between having an idea and expecting it to go live. In most industries there's a lengthy lead time involved in delivering a product but banking is more aggressive than most in trying to cut it down. So while any industry has its own specific body of knowledge that has to be learned at some point, in banking it's more preferable to get someone who won't have to spend time learning it.

Even that's only a difference in approach, and it's not even unique because it applies to some of the creative industries too. And it doesn't apply much to networking.

But it probably still helps to already appreciate that:
                  -if you mess up the HR department's network, nobody will care (probably, nobody will even notice).
                  -if you mess up the traders' network, there will be lots of shouting but you'll probably get away with it if you brass it out.
                  -if you mess up the back office network your head will be on a spike.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    People in IBs have the opinion that they are on a par with Apollo mission astronauts, esp the ones that have came up through the graduate training system. If you ask what the difference is then that is you bombed out, it's best to play along with the game and realise that you are in the presence of complete twats.
                    fixed that for you.

HTH

Comment

I'm surprised; I'm not sure what industry experience you all have, but I've worked in several (IB's for the past 5+ years) and IB's are vastly different.

What is primarily different is the quality of the people technically, but also the attitude to getting things done and doing things the right way. Non-performers are weeded out very quickly and ruthlessly - and this feeds into the "unique culture".

For me, it's basically the equivalent of public vs. private sector. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to non-IB. We're paid premium because we are premium. Feel free to make up whatever excuse you want for not liking that factual statement.

Comment

Working...
                      X