• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment Banking Contracts [Networking]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment Banking Contracts [Networking]

Morning all.

Whats the big secret with working in an investment banking role as a network designer/engineer?

As far as i'm aware, from my 15 years experience in networking and security SC cleared roles, a router is a router, a switch is a switch and a firewall is a firewall...

Why do these investment banking companies insist you have previous experience in the investment banking sector???

I've worked for many different organisations, government, military, private sector, foregin "interest" companies, etc etc. Each one has there own "procedures" and sets of rules/regulation [JSP's, ACPO regs, ISO, etc etc] you have to follow/get familiar with... why are these banking roles ANY different???

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Aaron

Originally posted by moony1234 View Post
    Morning all.

Whats the big secret with working in an investment banking role as a network designer/engineer?

As far as i'm aware, from my 15 years experience in networking and security SC cleared roles, a router is a router, a switch is a switch and a firewall is a firewall...

Why do these investment banking companies insist you have previous experience in the investment banking sector???

I've worked for many different organisations, government, military, private sector, foregin "interest" companies, etc etc. Each one has there own "procedures" and sets of rules/regulation [JSP's, ACPO regs, ISO, etc etc] you have to follow/get familiar with... why are these banking roles ANY different???

Thanks,

Aaron
    I don't think it's so much the banks as the agents. If your cv doesn't show *recent* investment banking, they just put it in the bin. I've about 6 years investment banking, but that was over 10 years ago, so even I'm struggling - and the last two years of my contracting have been Retail Banking, but even that doesn't seem to be helping much.

I guess the market must be awash with contractors with recent i.b. experience, hence why the banks and agents can be so choosy?

Having said all the above, I had a cv sent for an i.b. job last week. I don't think it'll get very far - it hasn't in the rare events where I have been forwarded in the last 3 months - but who knows; it only needs one to bite.

I think your best route is via a 3rd-party supplier, rather than "direct" to the bank itself via an agency. They are much less choosy. That's how I managed to get my two recent retail banking roles - contracts via suppliers the banks had outsourced to. The rates aren't the greatest - another middle-man to pay off - but at least you'd get the experience you want.

Nomadd
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Oh Lordy, Lordy. Another one.

Don't worry about it. You won't like it.

In any case they are about to move abroad and close down their operations in the UK.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I'm currently in a contract so i'm not looking to move just yet.

I was just curious as to why, from a skills point of view, they want someone with IB experience.

I can understand this to an extend for PM roles etc, but not the more techie roles...

Comment

I managed to get my foot in by contracting through a third-party so yeah, the above advice is sound, you'd do well to look for a friendly consultancy or such.

I used to loathe the practice, nowadays I'm obviously all for it.

You must be useless if you're not at an IB, since all the smart ones work in the City, we're cream of the crop, international talent, best and brightest, all that jazz.

They actually believe their own posturing, nothing else.

Comment

Morning all.

Thanks,

Aaron
            FWIW I suspect that the reasons for this are as follows:

1. IB is a "closed shop" - e.g., if you don't know person X then they've no way of obtaining an informal reference on you

2. IB pays higher rates than non-IB therefore they can be picky

3. IB personnel are in general (note: disclosure - ex IB quant) a bunch of wink-stains. This goes double for the recruitment bods.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbarianAtTheDoor View Post
              I managed to get my foot in by contracting through a third-party so yeah, the above advice is sound, you'd do well to look for a friendly consultancy or such.

I used to loathe the practice, nowadays I'm obviously all for it.

You must be useless if you're not at an IB, since all the smart ones work in the City, we're cream of the crop, international talent, best and brightest, all that jazz.

They actually believe their own posturing, nothing else.
              The really smart cookies are the ones who have worked in IB and who got out in order to retain their sanity and self respect...
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                The really smart cookies are the ones who have worked in IB and who got out in order to retain their sanity and self respect...
                Speak for yourself.

Comment

Morning all.

Thanks,

Aaron
                  Alot who work in IBs only last 1 contract. 2 things are difficult :-
                  1. the commuting
                  2. the aggressive nature of those who work there : in fact its NEARLY as aggressive as general.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Alot who work in IBs only last 1 contract. 2 things are difficult :-
                    1. the commuting
                    2. the aggressive nature of those who work there : in fact its NEARLY as aggressive as general.....
                    w -alpha - nkers, the lot of 'em.

Comment

Working...
                    X