• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How quiet are people finding the market??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blesshim View Post
    am sorely tempted to bench myself today.
    I appreciate it sound daft but had enough.....!!

I work for a swiss based financial company in swindon who are doing the corporate bullying tactic with me.
    Awful funny you mention Swinden. Seems like a nice little place but judging by the high street closures and rental property market, seems to be in dire straits...

I went for an interview at a well-known building society there two weeks ago.

Travelled all the way from Greece - came a couple days early as I planned on being nice and relaxed for the interview.

Was a hot day in London, suit on 40+ tube, sweated like a pig all the way. Picked up a new clean shirt ( threw the other one away ) and grabbed a taxi out to the client's office.

Turned off the mobile ( in prep for the interview ) and put my name in at reception.

PM comes to meet me, tells me the interview has been canceled ( they called the agent 13 minutes before the appointment time ) since the one permie had not seen my CV and would not be interviewing somebody whos CV he had not read.

Dragged their heels for 1 more week, scheduled the interview, asked 1 technical and several "life experience" questions.

Told the agent I didn't have the technical skills they were looking for and that was that.

1500 dissapeared from from war chest on that. Will not be visiting Swindon anytime soon!

Sorry, but reading Swindon forced me to vent also.

Comment

Originally posted by herman_g View Post
      1500 dissapeared from from war chest on that.
      You were invited. Invoice the agent for the time and travel expenses.

Will not be visiting Swindon anytime soon!
      Well, that's just generally good advice anyway.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        You were invited. Invoice the agent for the time and travel expenses.
        I certainly will, at the appropriate time...unfortunately now is not - he seems to have a corner on a very niche market ( the quite well-connected agent I normally rely on is getting nowhere in the market for some reason).

He has offered to pay my train ticket from London for the screw-up but can't be bothered ( nor will accept such a pittance for the insult ).

The experience ended up a real waste of time, energy and money but, fortunately the money is not the hugest issue ( really want to get back to work out of boredon more than anything else ) at the moment.

Comment

the money is not the hugest issue ( really want to get back to work out of boredom more than anything else ) at the moment.
          I'll PM you my LtdCo's bank account details. Please be sure to pass those to your agency for payment for your next gig.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
          X