• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How quiet are people finding the market??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been out since May - Took the first month really low key - Rest wise - (had done some silly mileage for the last year)

Appling for all sorts of roles (being a contractor of old I have many strenghts) However I have found that I have had some silly call backs but thats it..

Anyone else finding that they just are not getting called back???

Cheers S.

Originally posted by Stu B View Post
    Been out since May - Took the first month really low key - Rest wise - (had done some silly mileage for the last year)

Appling for all sorts of roles (being a contractor of old I have many strenghts) However I have found that I have had some silly call backs but thats it..

Anyone else finding that they just are not getting called back???

Cheers S.
    July and August are traditionally dead at the best of times. I suggest enjoying the summer and waiting for the kids to go back to school.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

If the grave is like this then I'm going to be bored a long time. That quiet.

Comment

dead - although I have had a couple of calls today

Comment

In today's market unless you can afford extended periods on the bench taking that month out in May (one of the best months for new contracts) was a probably a mistake.

Even in a good market, from mid June things start getting quite, bottom will fall out of market by mid/late July and then you can pretty much hang it up until late Sep./early Oct.

Comment

Market conditions

Been looking for contract/perm since end of June.

>150 applications, talked to about 30 agents, CV put forward to 15 clients, 4 phone interviews, no face to faces, lots of promises.

Notable gaps in employment previously have been:-
            4 months without work in 2002, 2 months in 2003 and 2 months in 2007.

Only real difference from when I was last looking is that I've broadened my skillset and widened the salary range/position/job types so that I can apply for more roles. If I put myself in the position I was in in 2002/03, I'd say it's as bad as then. jobstats.co.uk suggests the same but also suggests that there's been a pick up in advertised roles since mid-June, so who knows this recession may soon be over.

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
              Been looking for contract/perm since end of June.

>150 applications, talked to about 30 agents, CV put forward to 15 clients, 4 phone interviews, no face to faces, lots of promises.
              About the same. But that's since end of February.

Had an agent last week say to me with suspicion in her voice, "you haven't had any contract at all since February?". Oh great, I'm becoming unemployable because I'm unemployed. Just what I needed.

Comment

I've had 2 phone calls today one direct with client who now wants a face to face meeting.

Can I manage the additional work though????
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Thought you had something lined up expat?

Anyway, the trouble with taking time out is the wind-up period it takes to get back into, well getting paid.

As well as the time you have taken out it will be about 6 weeks until you get paid, assuming you start work tomorrow.

If you do back to back gigs then the money machine is already up to speed, but that period after you have started work to getting paid is the most frustrating I find!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    About the same. But that's since end of February.

Had an agent last week say to me with suspicion in her voice, "you haven't had any contract at all since February?". Oh great, I'm becoming unemployable because I'm unemployed. Just what I needed.
                    Never been one to agree with lying on CV's but to deal with idiots (even bigger ones considering current today's market) like this would be either changing my last contract my end date or even better just not putting termination date on last contract, aka "Feb 2008 - "

Had to do the latter after taking a year off to travel a while back, as soon as did started getting interviews

To many stupid agents/clients see you have not worked for X amount of time and just toss the CV without once asking/thinking "why"

Comment

Working...
                    X