• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netherlands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netherlands

That ol' market rate..I might be able to extract EUR 50 p/h out of this if it comes off which is workable for me but I'm wondering if anyone knows a roundabout figure for market rate for a software developer in the euro zone at the moment? This particular contract is a bit niche but probably not so niche that it will push to +EUR 60 p/h.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

What field? 50 sounds a bit on the low side, even for these grim times..

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
      What field? 50 sounds a bit on the low side, even for these grim times..
      It's software design and development in a couple of niche languages and also design documentation. There is also a testing aspect to the role after the coding part of the lifecycle is complete. There's nothing too difficult about it for someone with the right skills but that's my reason for asking for a ballpark figure for market rate in the Netherlands.

If €50 is low, is €60 reasonable? I do know for a fact someone has already quoted €60 and been rejected on cost alone. The client has also rejected the option for flight and accomodation expenses to be included.

It's early days but at this stage others have gone in quoting the €40-€45 range so my rate is high in relation to these! It might not even get going for me on that basis.
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Mmm, I know the market is bad, but I would personally not go below 60 for a non-junior test or dev role. For more senior roles (such as senior testmanagement) I still believe 75+ is achievable. Bear in mind taxes in Holland are probably higher than you are used to. There's plenty of information about working and taxation in Holland on this site, which I trust you'll be able to find.

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
          Mmm, I know the market is bad, but I would personally not go below 60 for a non-junior test or dev role. For more senior roles (such as senior testmanagement) I still believe 75+ is achievable. Bear in mind taxes in Holland are probably higher than you are used to. There's plenty of information about working and taxation in Holland on this site, which I trust you'll be able to find.
          60 to 65 is probably about right in NL right now. Don't worry about taxes; yes they're high, but only if you make a hefty profit. Seeing as you can deduct lots of things from tax and pay for hotels, meals, transport, training, PCs and so on from your revenues, i.e. the company's before tax income, you'll find that tax is actually quite light. My accountant calls me in each september to plan my expenditure with a view to avoiding higher rate tax; in a good year you might see me in the Amstel hotel during the last couple of months of the year, just bumping up my business expenses to avoid too much profit. The people who pay high taxes in NL are the wageslaves. Make sure you have a Dutch 'AA' certified accountant; not cheap (about 2000e per year for all bookkeeping and reporting), but their advice and help will save you more than they cost. I'd recommend http://www.gibogroep.nl/GB/tabid/1532/Default.aspx They're good with small businesses. Do not try to deal with the Dutch Tax office yourself; use your AA certified accountant. Dutch tax inspectors behave like agents of Soviet politburo toward taxpayers, but they´re nice to accountants because most of them are hoping to get a very highly paid job (>120.000 euros p.a.) at an accountancy practice providing tax advice. One good thing about living in a high tax environment is that the accountants are excellent.
          Last edited by Mich the Tester; 9 June 2009, 08:26.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I worked in Amsterdam last year. Was when Euro 2008 was on and it was one of the best Summers of my life. Beers in Rembrant square after work, sunshine and plenty of tourist bars to make you think you were on holiday. Result

Comment

Originally posted by Elevator_Music View Post
              I worked in Amsterdam last year. Was when Euro 2008 was on and it was one of the best Summers of my life. Beers in Rembrant square after work, sunshine and plenty of tourist bars to make you think you were on holiday. Result
              Not to mention the coffeshops .....
              Last edited by ribble; 10 June 2009, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by dandcg View Post
                Not to mention the coffeshops .....
                First rule of coffeeshops - we don't talk about coffeeshops
                Bored.

Comment

I've been in the Netherlands for 15 years and I've never been in a coffeeshop. Not my drug of choice; red wine for me.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    First rule of coffeeshops - we don't talk about coffeeshops
                    Why not? I was refering to a nice cup of afternoon coffee anyhow.
                    Last edited by ribble; 10 June 2009, 14:24.

Comment

Working...
                    X