• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC clearance and Criminal Record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beemarman View Post
    When i got a job with a top bank in London, i had to go through the same checks. I was worried at first cause I've also been a naughty boy in my young years. I didn't declare anything on my application form as the offence was "time spent" and you don't have to declare it if it is(unless it states you have to declare all time spent in your application).
    Are you sure it was SC?

As for not declaring it, that's very bad advice imo because I'm pretty sure you didn't go through the same process. It's been a while since I filled in one, but I'm sure that it says all convictions/cautions with the exception of parking offences should be detailed. Even if the conviction is spent you should still include it because it will still be on your record as will a formal caution.

To the OP, to find out the dates/details of your conviction you should check your local police force's website for a "Subject Access Request" form. They should have one for the local force and one for the police national computer records. It costs about £10 and a couple of weeks to get any information they hold on you. If you dont have time to wait, just put on the form that it was c.20 years ago and put what details you do know. They'll know it all anyway and as long as you've put it down there shouldnt be a problem.

I was in a similar situation to you, stupid mistake 20 years ago due to vast amount of alcohol consumed on New Years Eve

When I went through SC a couple of years ago I did a Subject Access Request. I am now cleared so as others have said a conviction/record wont automatically stop you getting clearance, but being dishonest will! So, be totally honest, don't try to hide anything.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks Guys, I think I had better go down to the local cop shop and see what I can find out regarding the Subject Access Request. They also want traffic offences too (I was up to 9 points for speeding some years ago and I can't remember those dates either ) so I hope they can shed light on those too, or I may be sounding very vague when I fill in the form which may appear as an attempt to evade full disclosure...

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainChaos View Post
        Thanks Guys, I think I had better go down to the local cop shop and see what I can find out regarding the Subject Access Request. They also want traffic offences too (I was up to 9 points for speeding some years ago and I can't remember those dates either ) so I hope they can shed light on those too, or I may be sounding very vague when I fill in the form which may appear as an attempt to evade full disclosure...
        When it comes to motoring convictions years ago that you can't remember I believe* it's acceptable to state in the notes section that they exist, but you simply can't recall the details.

*Note obviously not from personal experience as stating you're cleared is arguably naughty.....

Comment

Captain,

Dont bother with the Cop Shop, just declare what you did and when you did it. I am SC cleared and got a record in 1980 for some minor thieving,.. yeah a long time ago just like you.

The only problem is the embarrasment of showing your form to the guy you hand it too. Otherwise it aint a problem!

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I have to submit the form next week. I can't hold it off any longer

I'll post the result when I get it, this could be helpful for anyone else in a similar position. Hopefully I will be looked upon favourably like Bryn. I hope whoever assesses me had a good game of golf the day before

Comment

Working...
            X