• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Cleared

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC and DV application forms are on the DVA website - do they look familiar?

If so, then you might be able to work out what level you are cleared to. If not, then it's probably not one of those.

HTH.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
      How long did it take? If only a short time it`s probably not SC but is CTC. Best check with the Security Officer as someone else mentioned. Some people get issued with a letter once they have it but I didn`t.

Not allowed to take a copy of it but it would be useful to jot the information down somewhere. Since I`ve had SC clearance I`ve still had to complete the rather LARGE questionaire a few more times for either additional clearance (some SC clearance tighter than others) or just to get it transfered.
      how can this be so?
      Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
      I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
        how can this be so?
        Dunno about some SC clearance being tighter than others, but, there are additional questionnaires the DVA can send out.

They can come back with specific questions ("you missed this box", "this is inconsistent, explain", "when you say 'cottaging' please elaborate") or send you, for example, a financial standing form if you look as though you are skint and could be bribed.

There was a comment I heard some years ago to the effect of "clearance always takes longer here because they check a bit harder because the system is SC High, not just SC". But what that actually means, I wouldn't know.

There's so much rumour and legend and myth and confusion around security clearance ... but then, that's the way They like it, surely?

Edit:
        The clearance required on a site is determined by an assessment of the risks/threats at that site/system. The specific risks associated with that site/system are probably taken into account by the DVA.

For example, if the risk is theft of technology another country's government would like, maybe they look at your vulnerability to blackmail (e.g. does your wife know about your habit? That pink lacy habit with bows on).
        If the risk is access to WMD information, maybe they look at your family's nationality a little harder.
        If the risk is theft of financially valuable stuff, do you have any kind of record of theft, like a police warning for shoplifting as a child?

So, perhaps, there is some variability in what a level of clearance means depending on what the risk is for that site/project. Maybe that's why it has to be reconsidered when you change sites / agency / etc.

But please bear in mind I'm making all this up. And I think I stop speculating now before the black helicopters get despatched.
        Last edited by BrowneIssue; 11 May 2009, 11:53. Reason: 2nd thunks
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
          Dunno about some SC clearance being tighter than others, but, there are additional questionnaires the DVA can send out.

They can come back with specific questions ("you missed this box", "this is inconsistent, explain", "when you say 'cottaging' please elaborate") or send you, for example, a financial standing form if you look as though you are skint and could be bribed.

There was a comment I heard some years ago to the effect of "clearance always takes longer here because they check a bit harder because the system is SC High, not just SC". But what that actually means, I wouldn't know.

There's so much rumour and legend and myth and confusion around security clearance ... but then, that's the way They like it, surely?

Edit:
          The clearance required on a site is determined by an assessment of the risks/threats at that site/system. The specific risks associated with that site/system are probably taken into account by the DVA.

For example, if the risk is theft of technology another country's government would like, maybe they look at your vulnerability to blackmail (e.g. does your wife know about your habit? That pink lacy habit with bows on).
          If the risk is access to WMD information, maybe they look at your family's nationality a little harder.
          If the risk is theft of financially valuable stuff, do you have any kind of record of theft, like a police warning for shoplifting as a child?

So, perhaps, there is some variability in what a level of clearance means depending oin what the risk is for that site/project. Maybe that's why it has to be reconsidered when you change sites / agency / etc.

But please bear in mind I'm making all this up. And I think I stop speculating now before the black helicopters get despatched.

Cheers,

Very interesting reading, and there certainly must be some truth in it as the site I'm on, requires SC Clearance but they will give you your ID pass, laptop etc etc whilst your clearance is "In Progress".

I've spoken to the intermediary I'm working through here and basically said - "Look - I'm likely to fail this/not get it back in time" as I worked overseas for about 18 months and a few other financial elements and was told "don't worry about it, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it".

I've also spoken to some of the other contractors in here and have been told that there are some fairly unscrupulous characters working both in here and out in the field

I'm holding out hope this comes back fine and then I hope to remain in an SC Cleared role for the forseeable future

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
            how can this be so?
            I don`t think all clearance is done through DVA for one reason. I`ve filled in one SC form that required more information than that standard DVA CTC/SC form and heard it was closer to DV clearance than SC. If you fail a more enhanced SC check then your normall SC could be stripped from you also
            Last edited by SuperZ; 12 May 2009, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
              I don`t think all clearance is done through DVA for one reason. I`ve filled in one SC form that required more information than that standard DVA CTC/SC form and heard it was closer to DV clearance than SC. If you fail a more enhanced SC check then your normall SC could be stripped from you also

And when you get the clearance it is always assocated to an agency. So you might have MOD SC clearance or it could be MET POLICE SC clearance.

Tino you`re lucky you can start. I have clearance but for my last number of roles I still haven`t been able to start until it has been transfered or until references are done. A friend had to wait four weeks recently even though they already had SC clearance.

TBF, I wasn't even told until I was on site that it was required or I wouldn't even have applied. If it comes through brilliant, if not I've skimmed a few grand from it to top up the fund for the bench

HTH

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I suppose Id better go ask the secruity officer here.

I had to fill out a questionaire when I started, and I had to give my partners parent names / details, just like I had to give my own parents details.

Im currently contracted to a police force, so would imagine Im atleast CTC. Was hoping i was SC !

SBK

Comment

Just found out that Im SC cleared ! :-) Happy days.

Update the CV I think !!!!

SBK

Comment

Originally posted by SBK1972 View Post
                    Just found out that Im SC cleared ! :-) Happy days.

Update the CV I think !!!!

SBK
                    Aha! Now the other security clearance Catch-22 kicks in.

You cannot advertise you have it.

And you should not have posted it on here either.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                      Aha! Now the other security clearance Catch-22 kicks in.

You cannot advertise you have it.

And you should not have posted it on here either.
                      The first rule of Security Clearance..............You don't talk about Security Clearance

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X