• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current state of market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    That's what I'm thinking as I could spend the next 6/12/18 months chasing ever decreasing contract gigs whilst my life crumbles around me, better to be earning and training for any up turn should it ever come.

When I look at what I've earned over the past 24 months and the amount of time I've spent on the bench it just hasn’t been worth it considering the holidays and other benefits I would have had.
    Well I'm thinking that now the BOE are saying this resession will last 2-3 years things will get a lot worse. I also suspect that the tories will be elected early next year and will start carving the public sector apart. This will mean that all contractors working in the public sector will be offloaded first.

As you say, more and more people will start chasing fewer and fewer jobs. Better to be in something low paid and permie for a few years just to be safe I think

Comment

Originally posted by chapeau View Post
      ...Nearly got lured by a call from Computer Futures (things are that bad, lol) but waited for another agency to advertise the same job then went through them instead. Turned out CFS had inflated the salary the employer was prepared to pay by a third. Same old games to get your application into the employer then they block any other agency using you.
      That is wrong. It is anti-competitive (which is what they like about it). Why shouldn't you be able to choose which offer to take?

Comment

Originally posted by crimdon View Post
        I also suspect that the tories will be elected early next year and will start carving the public sector apart. This will mean that all contractors working in the public sector will be offloaded first.
        I'm expecting this too.

The consultancies will be first for the chop, then contractors. That said the consultancies are charging out some of their bods at contractor rates, possibly at a loss.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          I'm expecting this too.

The consultancies will be first for the chop, then contractors. That said the consultancies are charging out some of their bods at contractor rates, possibly at a loss.

Not often that happens unless they see future potential in the project.
          I can see the consultancies getting the chop but think there will be still a public sector demand for contractors although the rates may become closer to the private sector, which seems to be happening now anyway

Comment

Today:
            • Got 3 month contract through word of mouth
            • Recommended mate for a contract with an agent who I have a good relationship with; he has an interview
            • Have received 3 other geniune sounding phonecalls and a couple of e-mails

To everyone else waiting, hang in there.. something will come up!

Comment

Congrats! Good result - hopefully it will rub off on me!

Comment

This week it does seem to have livened up a bit. Rates are still pretty dire, but a few more busy weeks should see rates inching back up again as the guys who took low rates recently move on after a few weeks on a dire rate to a higher paying role. I hope............... My contract ends in a few weeks.............
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  This week it does seem to have livened up a bit. Rates are still pretty dire, but a few more busy weeks should see rates inching back up again as the guys who took low rates recently move on after a few weeks on a dire rate to a higher paying role. I hope............... My contract ends in a few weeks.............
                  I'm finding that too this week. Last few weeks have been really poor. the north east is never good but even looking down to Leeds/Bradford there hasn't been anything either.

Comment

Working...
                  X