• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It all depends on your skills/sector. What are they?

Have you tried contacting a few agents?
    Skills, I'm a developer(full lifecycle), also databases, mis etc, I've been doing it for almost 10 years, the last 5 in the financial sector. There's not been a lot I haven't touched and most of the important stuff I have good experience in.

I've decided to go btw. *finger crossed*

Comment

Originally posted by leeperry View Post
      Skills, I'm a developer(full lifecycle), also databases, mis etc, I've been doing it for almost 10 years, the last 5 in the financial sector. There's not been a lot I haven't touched and most of the important stuff I have good experience in.

I've decided to go btw. *finger crossed*
      I wouldn't make any hasty decisions, the market is pretty dreadful. My advice...take the permie job and look for a contract. If you find one resign.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
        Take it, and keep looking on jobserve for a juicy contract!

You will most probably have 1 week notice for the first 3 months on the permie contract. So you can always hand notice to jump onto the good ship SS Contract!

All aboard!
        WHS

Comment

Consider taking the perm job if it means you might get useful (future cash generating, not BS) experience or training. If they just want you to keep ticking over in exactly the same role, this might be a bad move.
          After a 10 year contract spell to 03 (with only 5 weeks on the bench for all that time) I went perm because I didn't know where my next job was coming from. This was rubbish money but managed to get some useful skills to get back in to contract. Been back for nearly 3 years and I have had a total of 9 months frustratingly on the bench in that time BUT I would estimate I am 50k in total better off over that time than equivalent perm role.
          Point is, you need to look a bit longer term than the next few months and plan accordingly.
          I would put big effort into getting another contract, if it looks bleak, take the perm with some agreement on training etc and if you score a contract later, there are always options to leave.
          The bench is a tough place for many at the moment, stay off it if you can.

Comment

Update: They've extended me for a another three months, I was tempted to turn them down, it's the start of the financial year and projects are kicking off but I like it here and I wasn't overjoyed the prospect of looking for a new contract, it's a buyers market out there at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
              Take it, and keep looking on jobserve for a juicy contract!
              This is what gives contractors a bad name!!

I think the OP needs to decide whether permiedom is for them or whether to gamble on contracting. Make the decision and go for it. If you do decide to go back as a permie you have to be clear in your mind (IMHO) a minimum period you will stay for.

Jumping ship within too short a time could be costly in more ways than one. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Update: They've extended me for a another three months, I was tempted to turn them down, it's the start of the financial year and projects are kicking off but I like it here and I wasn't overjoyed the prospect of looking for a new contract, it's a buyers market out there at the mo.
                Well done!!

Now start networking and looking at job boards to determine your "strategy" for when the 3 months is over!

Comment

I agree with Mustang this sort of thing gives contractors a bad name.

Either you want to Contract or you Don't. Don't forget that lots of Permie roles now insist you stay for a certain length of time for training or you have to pay for it yourself.

Personally I've had this decision to make myself in the past and the simple question I asked myself was, why did I leave Permie work and has things changed? The answer for me was I hated they way I was treated and overlooked as a Permie and I've progressed much further through contracting and paying for training myself and I don't have to care about "office Politics" hence still a Contractor

Still you now have 3 months to see how grim the world is and decide, well done on the extension and save like hell for the War chest should you decide to leave.

Comment

Bumpity, just been told that I won't be extended past the end of the month (There's no work for me here anyway)

What's the state of the market like??

Comment

Bumpity, just been told that I won't be extended past the end of the month (There's no work for me here anyway)

What's the state of the market like??
                      Normally, someone has posted the link to the tumbleweed .GIF by now.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X