• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go?

Apologies if this is already covered in the Market picking up thread but I could do with a bit of advice.

I'm contracting at a client for a bit over a year and they've offered my a permie role when my contract finishes, It's a take it or leave it offer, they realise they need someone permanent.

Now I would rather stay contracting, I've got reasonably good skills, around five years exp in the financial sector in the city but it is a nice company, decent enough salary, nice people to work with etc, The reason I am considering it is because of the market - anyone got any advice/pointers?. It's the first time I've been through a recesssion as a freelancer.

Originally posted by leeperry View Post
    Apologies if this is already covered in the Market picking up thread but I could do with a bit of advice.

I'm contracting at a client for a bit over a year and they've offered my a permie role when my contract finishes, It's a take it or leave it offer, they realise they need someone permanent.

Now I would rather stay contracting, I've got reasonably good skills, around five years exp in the financial sector in the city but it is a nice company, decent enough salary, nice people to work with etc, The reason I am considering it is because of the market - anyone got any advice/pointers?. It's the first time I've been through a recesssion as a freelancer.
    I think you have already answered your own question. If you are serious about staying in Contracting, start looking for roles on Jobserve and other Job boards and also apply to any of your contacts.

If you are keen for job stability until the market picks up, take the permie role and keep an eye out on the job boards.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Depends how much they're paying too shirley

Comment

Take it, and keep looking on jobserve for a juicy contract!

You will most probably have 1 week notice for the first 3 months on the permie contract. So you can always hand notice to jump onto the good ship SS Contract!

All aboard!

Comment

Depends if you feel if you need a "safe port" during the current storm.

If you feel you will be demand enough then venture out and reap the rewards given to successful risk takers, if not play it safe and stay where you are. Only you can assess the demand for your skills/experience in today's market

Though my general experience is if you even need to ask this type of question you already know the answer and it's not the risky option

Comment

What are you all on about. Never go permie. I prefer earning less as a contractor then going permie and having all the grief.
            Otherwise you'll end up staying permie until you retire.
            Trust me things are picking up.

Comment

Seem to be a lot of Finance vaccancies in the Bristol area at the moment. Especially BA roles on 450-650 a day.

My 2p worth is take the role if you can't find another to walk into.
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                Though my general experience is if you even need to ask this type of question you already know the answer and it's not the risky option
                Like I said, this is my first recession as a freelancer so it is a wee bit intimidating.

Prehaps my question should be: Is the market in such a state that a reasonabley will qualifed contractor should jump into a safe haven when offered?

Comment

Originally posted by leeperry View Post
                  Like I said, this is my first recession as a freelancer so it is a wee bit intimidating.

Prehaps my question should be: Is the market in such a state that a reasonabley will qualifed contractor should jump into a safe haven when offered?
                  It all depends on your skills/sector. What are they?

Have you tried contacting a few agents?

Comment

No such thing as a permie role any more....they can still sack you with a month's notice
                    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                    X